Buck Stove Model 85

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebe

Feb 17, 2013
Hey guys - I've been reading the forum on and off for years, great resource!

Anyway, I'm replacing my old Fisher Mama Bear with a new Buck model 85 insert. I'm also hanging a new stainless rigid liner, so it's really going to be a totally new system. I've never owned a Buck stove before, but know they are a well established company.

Anyone own one, or can offer a opinion? The install itself will be in the basement. I have a 1,440 square foot ranch with a full basement.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advise.

freebe

With a basement install, do you think the 85 will be enough? What state are you in?

I'm in southern Ohio. The stove is rated at 2700 square feet, so I know I'm on th lower end of things, but won't be our primary source of heat. I burn to take the load off the heat pump, backup heat in power outages, and mainly because I still love cutting wood, and the great heat it provides.

The old Fisher Mama Bear kept the house at 68 during a 4 day total power outage years ago, and it was really cold outside. I'm hoping this will provide similar performance. I'm also planning on getting a power inverter and battery tender for a deep cycle battery to run the blower motor.

Thanks for the fast reply.
freebe

It should be a great stove for your purpose then. If you wanted to provide 100 percent of your heat I would say go with the 91. You would get longer burns and more heat with that stove, but I'm sure the 91 is quite a bit more money plus you'd have to go with an 8 inch liner which is more $ as well.

Also be sure to get dry wood for this new stove as they are much pickier than the old stoves in that regard.

The methods of burning are also different. These stoves need high internal heat to fire off the secondaries and then you shut down the air. Basically, get the stove nice and warm and then turn down the primary air and let it sit for 6 hours.

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will burn differently than Fisher. Right now I have a pretty decent mix of Ash, Hickory and Cherry. When I worked it up it was either standing dead, or already down. It's all has been split and stacked for almost a year.

Also I keep reading about secondaries, and I hate to sound stupid, but is that when it's re-burning the smoke?

Thanks,
freebe

Yes, the secondaries are the re-burn through the burn tubes. This is visible during only the first half of a burn cycle.

I have an 85 and like it. Feed it dry wood as it doesn't do well with wet. Run mine at 650+ all the time and with the blower going it really puts out the heat.

Thanks for the reply brian89gp, glad you like it, hope I'll like mine too!

Looks like I'm getting it installed this Thursday and Friday! I'll be burnin' again by the weekend.

I'll drop back with a review.

freebe

I have a 94NC my second Buck first one was a pre EPA but served me well for a long time. Cant speak to the 85 but Buck makes a nice stove and the secondaries on my 94 do the job quite nicely....

Thanks Buckeye 2012, I hope I'm happy, this will be a good chunk out of the budget, so I hope it serves me well for a long long time.

Beautiful stove in your avatar btw.

freebe

OK boys the install is done! new insulated stove pipe from a basement install, I'm heating my ENTIRE house (2880 sq feet, 1440 up and down) BY ACCIDENT. Granted I'm 'burning the new stove in, and have since knuckled it back, but currently it's 30 degrees outside and this thing isn't missing a beat. I feel like I've stepped out of the stone ages going from my Mama Bear to this.

One VERY happy Buck 85 owner..............

Now if in 10 (30) years I feel the same way, the legendary Buck stove has lived up to it's name.

All I can say is wow...secondary burn (stove wide open) in under 30 minutes....TONS of heat.

The fine people from Dogtown Stoves did a outstanding job. True craftsmen. If you're in southern Ohio and in need of a dealer, installer, or sweep, I highly recommend them.

freebe

My parents went from an old Buck smoke dragon to a Buck 85. They said that the first year they used half as much wood as the year before, so you might be having pleasant suprises for a while yet.

More heat and less cutting, hauling, and splitting, would be a huge bonus! I'm not getting any younger, lol.

freebe

Status
Not open for further replies.