Buck Stoves Warranty.........Hmmm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAYS WITH FIRE

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I did the dollar bill test on my door gasket last night to see how well the gasket has held up. It did real well for a 1 year old gasket as it would grab the dollar so tight that I would have ripped in half before it comes out. Except for the lower right corner! I always get ash or creoste build uo there. I could never figure out why....

I found the dollar could almost be pushed through where the gasket meets the door. After some investigation I found that the door in that spot is not parallel to the firebox. I was not sure if the box is warped ( god I hoped not!!!!!!!!!) or the door is not true. I went to garage, got the machinist straight edge and ran it all around the fire box, straight as an arrow, "whew!"

Put the straight edge on the door, not straight as an arrow, "crap!" it was about 3/16" out.

I sent Buck an email last night, got an email back at 8 am this morning. They said gap is not normal and asked what color door is , pewter, gold or black and where to ship new one. I told them flat black, gave address but asked if the door would be complete with gasket and glass.......They said sure will.

That made my day!

That's good to know! I've got a 94NC on the way.

You really have to let us know how that thing heats asap! When do you get it?

Not sure. Was ordered on 1/2 or maybe 3. Still building the new house and don't have the chimney in, yet.

Kudos to the folks at Buck Stove.

that sounds like the people at buck, they looked after us when we needed them as well.

That would be a great school trip Kath! Wish I lived closer, I would love to take a tour there.

I sure wish it was that easy with my blaze king! Glad to hear Buck doing the right thing and it not being an out of pocket expense for you!

Jason

+1 on that

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
You really have to let us know how that thing heats asap! When do you get it?

Loco Gringo said:
How long have you had it PWF?

I had it one year and 2 months. I have done the dollar bill test before just not in that spot! I only looked this time more closely because someone (SlyFerret) with a NC-30 was having a similar issue and thought the stove box was not true. So I thought I woudl check mine and to my delight....But Damn it! Isn't always the last thing you look at?

Our stove is in! I will pick it up Monday. The guys are supposed to be here Monday to install the chimney and we have the framing crew scheduled to come back Tuesday and they have agreed to unload it. I'm glad as I'm nursing some cracked ribs. I've got some scrap framing lumber and will do the seasoning burns next week, hopefully.

heatwise said:
that sounds like the people at buck, they looked after us when we needed them as well.
Why don't you tell us more about that Model 20? I have a soft spot for this stove; don't know why.

To the OP, glad that Buck took care of you.

I got my door.......... a pewter door to replace my flat black door! That is a nice present from Buck Stoves. I have emailed them to thank them for the upgrade or to let them know they made a mistake!:-D

The door is snug as would be expected with new gaskets so I lengthened the locking mechanism until the gaskets break in a bit. I now have an all to familiar "new stove smell" I assume is comeing from the gasket glue. It is nice the weather is in the 50's so I can open the windows a bit....

I posted some pix please don't mind the mess of a stove as I just put the door on and some ashes were on the old gasket and went all over the place!

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 494
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 791
  • door3.jpg
    door3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 467
The mess? Holy crap you ought to see my hearth it looks like it blew up lol. Nice looking stove glad they came through for you!

That is great to know.
I have a 91 and have the same problem with the build up in the bottom right hand corner. I will check it when it cools down. I just contributed it to poor airwash as I have seen the same problem in other posts!

thanks for the post

David

Status
Not open for further replies.