Buck 80 and 91 Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
Hey Everyone...
A while back I posted about getting a Regency I3100 Insert. We were going to install it before winter but had some unplanned expenses come up and had to unfortunately put that off.
I recently found out that Buck Stoves are made about 20-ish miles from where I am living and I am researching them. I am looking a Model 80 ZC and a Model 91. Anyone have either of the models?
I have read many of the reviews here on the site and was wondering about how they last in the long term? It seems they are a pretty well made and most people who own them are pretty happy with them.
A few pertinent details... My house is around 2200 sq feet, single story ranch with a crawlspace [the crawlspace has a dehumidifier and a vapor barrier]. Built in 1972 with a logical design [bedrooms one side, central living space, kitchen & dining on the other side]. We have a outside wall fireplace that takes the chill off the room it is in [central living space], but primary heat is electric hot water baseboard heat. The chimney takes up the whole wall and is a bit of a "cold sink" for lack of better phrasing. We kept it pretty chilly this winter and the electric bills were still off the charts. We live in an area where we get a fair amount of cold, some snow & power outages.
So again...Buck Stoves, Model 80 ZC and a Model 91, pros & cons?
Thank you.

So are you looking for a zero clearance unit or an insert? That is the biggest difference. Next is the size the 91 is much bigger than the 80zc. From what i have seen they are very well made stoves i have installed a few and i am a regency dealer as well. There are some things i like more about the regencies and some i like more about the bucks but they both are good stoves

Thanks for the response. I would prefer an insert. Partially because the fireplace is masonry and I just like inserts. This is the best picture I could find & it is from the real estate listing. It is one of the things that 'sold" the home. It gives a pretty good idea of what I am working with.
Can I ask what do you like about Regency's vs. Buck's?
Thanks again for the help.

upload_2015-4-25_21-1-51.png

Some differences to the i3100 to ponder: Is your flue wide enough for an 8" liner? Do you want a cat model or are you going for the non-cat (74ZC)? Take a tape measure and check the firebox sizes. According to some members the actual usable space is quite a bit less than what is stated on Buck's website.

I had to measure it for a chimney cap and the flue is about 13" x 18." It takes a while to get it hot and drafting well.
Already planned to use the tape measure...and I have measurements to the fireplace as well to make sure it is the right size all the way around.

We have several Buck owners on Hearth.com. Buck has been around a long time and proven they stand up over time. I like that they also support older models. To get more responses I changed the title to include the models you are looking at.

Given the nature of this fireplace (a big heatsink) I would suggest a block off plate and if possible fireplace wall insulation to reduce the transfer of heat from the insert to masonry surrounding it. This will help increase the heat output into the living area.

begreen--> Hey...thanks...I did not know you could change the name. Much appreciated. Whether I do the install myself or hire someone, I was planning to insulate like you suggested because on another thread, someone explained how he insulated and what a huge difference that made in the performance of the stove. I am all about efficiency since I split most of the wood and this forum is great for sound advice and information.
The Buck stoves seem to be very well made and again from what I have read here and elsewhere, most are very pleased with them. I hope to get to there showroom this week.

bholler--> To clarify, I am not going to rule out a ZC because I do not want to buy a stove that is "too much" for the space I am heating. I also do not want to buy something that is "too little" as well. I am looking for the right balance. In a perfect world, I would get some sort of wood hydronic furnace/boiler for the baseboard heat & hot water as well as a stove for the fireplace. I can do one or the other and the wifey wants a stove. :) We would like to heat exclusively with the wood stove come next winter.
Any advice will be most appreciated. PM me if needed.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

bholler--> To clarify, I am not going to rule out a ZC because I do not want to buy a stove that is "too much" for the space I am heating.
Ok but you have a fire place the zc is meant to go into a framed opening with a prefab chimney on it. Unless you are considering the zc elsewhere you dont want it you just want the regular 80 not the zc

As far as the differences i think the regencies are allot easier to service I like that the bucks are both an insert and a freestander. And the fact that you can get bucks with cats is a plus to if a cat makes sense for you

bholler--> That is another intriguing part of Bucks...being able to be freestanding or inserts. That is why I hope to get into the showroom this week. I hope they have one set up both ways. Some things are best seen in person.
Cats also make sense to me. My folks had a Lopi [?] with a cat and heated an old large farmhouse exclusively with it. If you use them right, cats are great.
What you said about the 80 ZC.makes sense. Thanks for the advice. It is most appreciated.

We got out to the Buck showroom today, talked to a salesman, and got hands on with the 80 & 91. The wife is impressed with the folks over there...knowledgeable and able to answer all of our questions so far. We are adding the Buck 94 NC to our list. It seems to be a good, decent stove and has a little less maintenance to it, but still pretty efficient and able to crank out a lot of heat. Anyone have a 94? If so,what are all your thoughts on it? Thanks a bunch.
The installer is going to insulate around the stove as well as make a block off plate. Should the liner be insulated as well? Work has gotten hectic and I do not have as much time to research all of this as much as I would like to. I hope to call the town tomorrow to double check regulations. Anything else I ought to do?
Again, thanks for all the help and advice. It is most appreciated

Anyone have a 94? If so,what are all your thoughts on it?
I don't remember the particulars, but the 94 got mixed reviews. I like the 91, and the maintenance is not too big a deal. I think the cat should go 5 yrs. at least, and easily pays for itself in wood savings.
Yes, insulating the liner will help, especially on an exterior chimney.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone...
Well, the wifey and I have talked it over (a lot), looked at where and how we will be storing our wood, read as many reviews as we could find, asked the installer lots of questions, asked the salesman lots more questions, and we have made a decision...(drum roll, please) and this Tuesday at 8:30am, our new Buck 94 will be installed.
We are getting excited about it. Even though it has warmed up, the last few nights have been in the 40's so we may in get a test burn or two. :) I will try to post some before and after pics for you to peruse.
We appreciate everyone's advice and are looking forward to much toastier winters...Thanks again for the help!!!

The biggest things are maintenance & wood. To keep the explanation as simple as possible...
The maintenance on the cat is not hard but easier is nominally better. The salesmen showed us how to take things apart on the 94 & 91, and the wifey felt more comfortable with the 94. She felt she could do that without any trouble.
The second issue is getting wood & storage. We have access to some free wood but will have to purchase much of what we burn. Even though we can go see wood we are buying, you still do not know 100% of what you will get. The wood we bought this year was fairly seasoned but probably 1/3 was above 20% moisture and still is. So, our wood, although decent, some of it just did not burn well at all. We have to store our wood outside and getting below 20% is going to be more of a challenge. We do not really have a place for a shed either as we kind of live "in town." Dry, seasoned wood is key for a cat model to get the efficiency. The 94 is less efficient but can handle the wood we have a little better. If we had a little more space to store wood and better access to wood, we probably would have gone with the 91. The guy installing it said he has put in a couple of the 94's and everyone is very pleased with them, and no real issues.
So the simple explanation, it is our situation that steered us toward the 94. I think it will work well for us.

Last edited:
They are absolutely correct, if you can't keep your wood below 25% then you should stick with a tube burning system as it will handle it better.

I think the thing you will miss will be the ability to idle the stove down during the shoulder seasons, that is one of the greatest benefits to a cat stove and why dry wood is a key.

If you burn hot enough with anything it will cook the water out of wood, it will also cook you out of that room.

Fireplace.jpg Great thread.

I am in a similar situation. I have an insert fireplace in our cottage with basically the same setup as you have (insulated crawlspace with dehumidifier and electric heat) and I am considering getting a new wood burning stove for it. Even though we are not there full time, we do use it quite often (even during the winter) and the electric bills can be through the roof.

Our fireplace heats up our room pretty well (cottage is only 900 sq. ft) but I go through a lot of wood. It would be really nice to be able to use less wood and get more heat.

Keep us posted on how this turns out.

Any modern insert is going to be a major improvement over an open fireplace. You will get more heat and use a lot less wood. For a 900 sq ft cottage I would be looking at a 2 cu ft insert. And if possible I would start storing wood cut to size for the insert now.

Any modern insert is going to be a major improvement over an open fireplace. You will get more heat and use a lot less wood. For a 900 sq ft cottage I would be looking at a 2 cu ft insert. And if possible I would start storing wood cut to size for the insert now.

Stacks.jpg

Roger on that. I already have lot's of wood stacked and seasoning (there's more outside of this picture)

Thanks.

Nice!

Well, thank you everyone for your comments. I appreciate it. After we get using it later this year, I will review for everyone here on the site...you know, give everyone all the good, bad, & ugly on it.
I almost forgot, we are going with basic black. The wifey liked it best that way.
BringinHeat--> Like your wood stacks...mine are going to be very similar.:)

Last edited:
The installer came yesterday at 8:30 sharp. They got busy right away and for the record...Buck Stoves are heavy.
They had to cut out part of the heatilator [?] which turned out to be some fairly hard steel...and took a little longer than expected.
That got done, stove got in, and today they put on the trim, some insulation, and a custom-made cap on the chimney.
We have to paint a couple of minor scratches before we do the low burn to cure the paint.
The installer also screwed the trim panels to the chimney rock to help keep little fingers from pulling it away. Will need to paint those to match as well.
Over all, we are very pleased. When the weather gets cooler, I will post a review.of how it works.Here are some pictures of the transformation. They are grainy because they were taken with a mobile device since the digital is a little fritzy..
In order:
1) Remnants of the last burn. 2) All cleaned up. 3) Getting the stove in place for the liner. 4) Almost done... 5) Finished except for some touch-up paint.

image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg image (3).jpeg image (4).jpg image (5).jpeg

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 270
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 273
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 534
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 362
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Reactions: aansorge
Looking good. The low burn is to dry out the firebrick. Do a full burn and get the stove over 500F to bake-in the paint. Open all windows first.

Thanks...will do. Your laugh of the day.
I explained all this to my kids and my 15 yr old said, "You're going to build a hot fire on purpose and we are going to have to open all the windows in here?" I said, "Yes." She replied, "I really don't understand adults." Made me chuckle. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.