Bucked and Chucked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Bought 6 cords from a local supplier for next year. Went to look at the wood and questioned the amount. They said, no worries, if you think it is less then we will charge you for 5 1/2, "great!!!". After spending the last 2 days at it, their is certainly 5 1/2 if not more, at $95 a cord for mixed wood I think I did alright. The deal is he piles on his property and you can buck it up there, just 4 kms away from me. Yesterday with a buddies truck and trailer I got 3 loads and today with my Kia Rondo and trailer I got 2 more. back is sore but nice to start the saw again, now if I could only find the file? Lots of birch some Juniper and Quaking Aspen. This about a 1/3 of what I bought. Still need to go get the rest. Hard to tell but most of the Birch on the left if very large and heavy, had to buck it in half just to lift it. Bad Pic but their are at least 40 logs I picked up today with the Rondo.

DSCF2111.jpg

That's an interesting setup. So he has a pile of logs next to a driveway and lets you buck it up for $100/cord?

Sounds like an okay deal to me.

SolarAndWood said:
That's an interesting setup. So he has a pile of logs next to a driveway and lets you buck it up for $100/cord?
Sort of, it is a local heavy equipment company that has a yard in the area. Not sure how he gets the wood but every year he has a large yard full, I would guess 100 cord or so at least. I think he may supply the local lumber yard with spruce since he has no spruce to sell. Either way, works for me. The yard is a muddy mess right now due to the thaw. Makes it a little tricky with the Kia. Today I just went and bucked to fit in the trailer so i could get it home in a reasonable amount of time. Trailer takes 1/2 cord at a time and my time is limited with work, kids, etc.

Looks good. That's an interesting way of selling wood

I have a farmer nearby who "cleared the trees for more pasture" and he also sells it that way, 60 bucks a load with lots of great species to choose from, if I had a full size truck and a trailer and a real saw I would have done it by now just to choose perfect rounds of cherry, ash, walnut, locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.