Bucked and Split, dryed for a month and now what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
The getting ahead effort has made for a situation I am having difficulty with. I am currently stacking by species. I have a mix of Red Oak and Walnut that has been split for over a month. Once the Red Oak dries out a bit, it looks an awful lot like Walnut. I may be a little color blind, but I don't think that is the problem. Any other indicators you can point out to differentiate would be appreciated. Smell is out of the question too, since the dried logs have little to know odor.

Try a permanent pen or marker on the ends if you can't keep the species isolated from one another. Just don't let the neighbors see you :cheese:

It would be very difficult to not be able to distinguish red oak from walnut. Very different wood in looks.

I've put yellow plastic surveyer's tape between sections.
Of course, I've forgotten when it meant when it came time to move it. :)

The oak should be noticably heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.