bucked cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
is cherry still easy to split after its been bucked for a while?

for me easier isnt always better..i enjoy manually splitting..i have access to a nice splitter anytime i need it..

I think cherry won't give you a problem regardless of its age.

Wood Duck said:

I have to agree with WD here. 2 years ago I split half my black cherry green and the following summer I did the rest. I'm also like you where I enjoy splitting by hand occasionally. The drier black cherry was fairly easy to split, less stringy.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Wood Duck said:

I have to agree with WD here. 2 years ago I split half my black cherry green and the following summer I did the rest. I'm also like you where I enjoy splitting by hand occasionally. The drier black cherry was fairly easy to split, less stringy.

i have had green cherry that was BRUTAL to split..i mean demoralizing. it depends on the individual tree. seems easier when dry.

Fresh cut black cherry is what FORCED me into buying a hydraulic splitter. Some of it can be so stringy it is nearly impossible to split with a maul (for me anyway). I love burning it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.