Bucked up a little oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
With the warmer weather the last couple days, I got the cutting bug. Got about 1/2 cord bucked today. I'll try doing another 1/2 tomorrow, and continue as long as we don't get a snow dump. Man, what a good feeling to get back at this pile.
I need to finish the 2011 stuff, then start on the stuff for 2012.
I think they'll lay there until the spring thaw and I can get to my drying stacks in the back. Split and stack then.

Edit:
Cooked up some eggs on the Ashley this morning, made some toast and sausage to go with. Headed out to the woodpile later than expected. Touched up the chain, and the wood got a, "say hello to my little fren". :coolgrin:
Just got in from bucking up another 1/2 cord or so. No plowing today, the back won't handle it. Ibuprofen is my friend. That, and a hot shower ought to do it.
Second pic is from today (Sunday).

Attachments

• IMG_3681resize.jpg
    IMG_3681resize.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_3691resize.jpg
    IMG_3691resize.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 317
I cut and split about a face cord today myself. How's your back? Mine's tired...

wahoowad said:
I cut and split about a face cord today myself. How's your back? Mine's tired...

I cut and split about half of a face cord today b4 I "misaligned" something in my back - it was a shame to not be able to do more on such a nice day. I was still able to do a little football with the kids later, so I was glad I stopped, though.

wahoowad said:

Back is a little sore. Plan to go at it again in the morning.
I'll probably do about the same amount, then get into the shop for awhile. Might do more in the pm. The plow may come out first though. I'd like to get the path to the stacks in back cleared a little better. If I can do that, I'll go ahead and split this stuff up, and get it stacked.
The tractor keeps getting bogged down in the deeper snow. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Attachments

• IMG_3682resize.jpg
    IMG_3682resize.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 453
Good job! I didn't get a chance to get out in the woods today, but it sure was a nice day for it.

I split and stacked about a cord of wood today. It was warm enogh here in central PA for a T-shirt. I think it hit about 45 degrees here. I know it isn't spring, but it sure felt like it today.

I got to try out my new/used Bobcat T190 today. Cleared a nice piece of ground where I had a bunch of branches from a big oak I cut down in September near the house. I then took the Skid Steer down to a stack of wood I haven't been able to move due to the fact I cannot get my ATV and trailer to the spot in the snow and hills. Went right down with the track machine and filled up the 72 inch bucket and drove right up to my splitting trunk and dumped it. Of course I split and stacked most of it and brought in about 1/2 a cord of the seasoned stuff in the basement. The HH seemed to do its job well. The cherry is all under 20 percent MC and only seasoned about 4 or 5 months. Of course I think Cherry will season in stacks just as well.

I am still a little nervous to take the T190 deep in the woods until the snow melts. There are no brakes on a Skid Steer, you can only drop the bucket if you start sliding. I have alot to learn but it sure is fun and I think it is the ultimate wood hauler. I am sure it will come in handy to lift some heavy logs. I dug up a stump and knocked down a few small trees. I would like to buy a grapple, etc. but my wife is already upset. I figure it will help me put in trails on the property and let me clear some land and of course help with the wood chores.

PapaDave, you are right about this weather being great for cutting wood. It is just right!

Backwoods Savage said:
PapaDave, you are right about this weather being great for cutting wood. It is just right!

The lawn is so wet right now I am afraid I will get stuck.

Wow Jay. You must not have any snow left down there. Here we still have frost in the ground in most places but I was surprised when the butt of a tree went into the ground several inches the other day. Right there it did not appear to have any frost.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1 on the wet yard, got about a cord that needs to be split to smaller splits but the yard is like a swamp so im lettin it lay

CodyWayne718 said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1 on the wet yard, got about a cord that needs to be split to smaller splits but the yard is like a swamp so im lettin it lay

++2!!!!!!!!!

Nice pile of saw dust. The dog must be in heaven sniffing out the grounds. I love the smell of fresh cut wood in the morning......

Sawdust on the snow.
AHHH, just looks good & I bet it smells good too..
& 1/2 a cord pile looks even better.
Good days work,
Nice pics.
I watched football yesterday & today, used up the daylight but needed to rest the back anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.