Bucking Horse Ideas and Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
Well after some well spent years my non-pressure treated Bucking horse is on it's last legs (literally)!
The Legs are starting to rot on me.
So I need some ideas and insight into making a new one. I scrounged some old pressure treated 2x4 so no rotting this time! I'm still looking for 2x6 and 4x4 instead but they are much harder to scrounge.

Thanks in advance!

I posted a pic of my bucking horse here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/315778/

It takes 8 foot wood and bucks to 20 inch lengths. I overhang one length on the front and use the end of the handles as a guide for the last cut on the back. The wheelbarrow handles slide back and forth. It is in the back position now which retracts the wheel. I take out the loose board in the middle, stand it up on the handles to extend the wheel, and put the board on the other side to hold it there. Then I can wheel the unit to where I want. If I were to build another one, I would make the legs in a H rather than a X to hold more wood. Also, I would put two wheels and a tow bar on it to pull with my tractor.

index.php

That's a sweet looking horse!
I love the wheel barrow idea! That is exactly why I came here for ideas first.
How tall is it? Looks a little tall for me (5'8") but I will adjust that.
Did you use lap joints on the 4x4 or did you just miter them?
If i can find some 4x4 I'm gonna lap joint them, if not I'm gonna double up the 2x4 to make lap joints to sure it up real good.

I also got a glimpse of Cowboy Andy's millipede horse which is also very nice!

I'd have to measure it but ja, it's too tall. They are done with lap joints but as I said, I wouldn't do that way again. I would make it much lower to the ground, make it a H frame, and build it as a trailer that I can tow. Then it can double as a trailer to haul the logs and I can buck with it when I get to where I'm going.

I was also thinking about making a ramp that sits on a 5x8 tilting flat bed trailer I have. Then I can roll the logs up into groove at the side of the trailer and cut away.

LLigetfa said:
I posted a pic of my bucking horse here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/315778/

It takes 8 foot wood and bucks to 20 inch lengths. I overhang one length on the front and use the end of the handles as a guide for the last cut on the back. The wheelbarrow handles slide back and forth. It is in the back position now which retracts the wheel. I take out the loose board in the middle, stand it up on the handles to extend the wheel, and put the board on the other side to hold it there. Then I can wheel the unit to where I want. If I were to build another one, I would make the legs in a H rather than a X to hold more wood. Also, I would put two wheels and a tow bar on it to pull with my tractor.

index.php
well built buck!

a couple weeks ago I slapped together a very very simple bucking horse (not worthy of a photo op) made from scrap 2x4's - 3 crosses nailed together and a brace piece on each side. It aint pretty but sure is effective and the cost was right ($0). It supports anything I have tried to lift onto it (I'd approx up to 10" diameter and 6-8' long). Most has been 4-8" diameter and 4-6' lengths. Its a real back saver. I scrounge wood and try to cut to lengths I can fit in the back of my pickup, then finish off at home.

I love the creativity of using the old wheel barrow!

NitroDave said:
Is that an electric bucking station ?? :lol:
I'm like my old man was... don't get caught with your hands in your pockets or he'll find you something to do.

It wasn't doing anything so I put it to work keeping my extension cords from wrapping around my snow thrower auger.

Status
Not open for further replies.