Bucking in February

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I would prefer that the ground be frozen but it is hard to complain about this weather. A little extra chain maintenance and being careful where you go with the truck aren't the end of the world.

Attachments

• 0204 logs at the farm.jpg
    0204 logs at the farm.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 858
  • 020412 farm at sunset.jpg
    020412 farm at sunset.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 831
  • 020412 loaded up.jpg
    020412 loaded up.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 855
Yeah I would rather have had the whole day for gathering firewood, but I had to spend the morning mowing the lawn before it got any higher. Beats shoveling snow I suppose.

Ground is well frozen here and snow covered. I hope to have my 10 cord delivery all bucked up before the snow is gone.

We have a bunch of snowmobile trail signage in farmers fields that look like they are ready for plowing.

SolarAndWood said:
I would prefer that the ground be frozen but it is hard to complain about this weather. A little extra chain maintenance and being careful where you go with the truck aren't the end of the world.

Great looking area Solar, looks like a great spot for todo anything. RRRRRRRRRRRRR you working on your trailer today?

Nice Job
Zap

Nice pics solar Muddy here, trailer is full but can't unload to ground freezes.

I really like that pond too Solar. Also, skidding out the logs to the trailer no doubt saves you some work.

zapny said:
RRRRRRRRRRRRR you working on your trailer today?

LOL, yep. That is going to be one expensive cord of wood. Probably close to 200 miles on the truck and the majority of the weekend to move a little over a cord a 1/4 mile down the road. Might be time to just use the tandem axle when I go that far from home...

Backwoods Savage said:
I really like that pond too Solar. Also, skidding out the logs to the trailer no doubt saves you some work.

I love the farm. It has been in my friend's family for many decades. We are figuring out the skidding thing. It is definitely a lot easier when you are working with someone so you can have the trees coming down while the other guy is running the trees out.

Solar, make a good sized dray and it will keep the logs out of the dirt and also makes the skidding much, much easier.

The winch on the back of that tractor makes skidding pretty easy. When you pick the winch up, the butts of the trees behind you are probably 3 ft off the ground. Hauling a half dozen trees in the 14-18" range at a time has been pretty easy. In the time it takes to run them out to the road, another half dozen are on the ground waiting.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
RRRRRRRRRRRRR you working on your trailer today?

LOL, yep. That is going to be one expensive cord of wood. Probably close to 200 miles on the truck and the majority of the weekend to move a little over a cord a 1/4 mile down the road. Might be time to just use the tandem axle when I go that far from home...

Nice trailer (3500 gross? ) & load , I bet you were a little over gross with that load.
I know with mine, if no ATV, all wood, I have near 5000 (Bumps & the springs bottom out). With the ATV about 4000 + some in the truck & drive slow.
I've been looking for a tandem axle, but some of the places I go the length might be to much & then longer to get a full load.
Maybe I should make the one I have (7' wide X10' long) a dual axle.
That location a tandem would be nice, almost twice the wood per trip. All looks like good solid wood too. :)
Nice pictures.
I bet it's still cheaper than buying a cord , & you had fun getting it

Attachments

• 100_6734.jpg
    100_6734.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 435
I'd need to put some sideboards on mine to make it easier to haul wood. Deck is 7.5ft widex18ft long).

The small trailers are nice, though I think many people end up like my Dad and start with small single axle, then go to larger.... except my Dad has never sold any of them. I think he's got 1 for each day of the week!

Its a 5200 pound axle. No sag at all in the springs but I was probably around capacity. I have a 6x12 6 ton tandem as well but it is a lot more work to load it by hand, is a lot heavier empty and can easily go over the towing spec for the truck. The deck on the little trailer is noticeably lower and I can easily hit the front of the trailer when loading compost or mulch with a silage fork. The other nice thing about the little trailer is it is a fixed fee at the transfer station where the big trailer has to go over the scales. Its a lot cheaper and a lot less time. The little trailer has done many many loads of manure, stone, compost, mulch, firewood, shingles, construction debris, skids of plywood, etc. I'm running at capacity a lot but it is a lot more convenient than the big trailer.

I fully understand your Dad Nate. I have 3 trailers and have had a hard time deciding which way to go. I don't have much money in any of them but either the tandem dump or the tandem equipment trailer is going this spring. Pretty sure it will be the dump as it makes a lousy equipment trailer and doesn't replace the little trailer for what I use it for most.

Attachments

• burb and Ford.jpg
    burb and Ford.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 379
If you like a small size trailer, but with considerable capacity, check out used/new bobcat trailers. They're almost always dual axle and used ones often sell pretty cheap as most people think they want more floor space than they actually need.

Nice pics S&W. I have sideboards on my F-250 and came home with the 1st full load of hickory a few weeks ago from a CL score. It was a lot of weight, probably maxed out what the truck could handle. Didn't take into account the soft ground and really chewed up the pasture I drove through on way to the splitting area that afternoon. Now I wait until morning when the ground is still hard to make any trips through there...not complaining though!

Stephen in SoKY said:
If you like a small size trailer, but with considerable capacity, check out used/new bobcat trailers.

I picked one up for a few hundred bucks a couple years ago. Weighs 2800 pounds empty and kind of a weird shape. Less than 6 feet between the fenders, heavy tires and a super low deck. I think I might put some stack pockets on it and use it for these longer runs and then use the single axle around town. Then get rid of the big dump.

I heard you about those fields muncybob. We skid with the tractor right out to the road and back the trailer just far enough to get the front of the truck off the road. There is no way my truck would have made it through that field even without the trailer.

That is what my trailer was made for. I don't know what a normal bobcat weighs, but the bigger one we have at work, a 770 is around 10,00lbs with just the bucket.
My trailer I guess is either a 12 or 14k frame and deck but only has 5200lb axles. It's 6" C Channel and in the front front the A frame goes under to make it 12" to the first set of wheels. I have seen many other "10k" trailers that are much lighter built than mine.

The only pain is the ramps aren't fold up and are HEAVY. They are same length as the deck is wide and are made with thick C channel and angle iron for the crossbars. They are just under 100lbs each.

Status
Not open for further replies.