Bucking safety question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
Recently I was bucking a hickory trunk that was sitting roughly 6-12 inches off the ground. As I was making the top cuts I had a stroke of genius. I watched the gap as my 20" bar sunk further and further. As soon as the gap started to close I'd stop the cut and pull out the bar. This trunk happened to have a good 30 feet up off the ground like this. As always no way to go all the way from the top without pinching the bar. I worked my way down the whole trunk like this stopping 80% through.

Without rolling the trunk I grabbed my 150 with the pico 1/4" safety chain. Slid that in the cuts and dropped each round to the ground without pinching the bar. The gap would close up as I cut. But since the bar and chain was thinner it wasn't enough to pinch the bar.

I was really stoked how well this two saw combo complimented each other. But it left me wondering if there were any safety issue I wasn't realizing. As the small saw completed the cut there was always a moment where the round would give way and drop free. It seemed abrupt every time. But never grabbed the bar or anything weird. What do you think? Any problem with this technique?

No issues that I can come up with as long as you can keep control of the small saw when the round drops. When using the long bar on my saw, I have had several (usually very large) logs "drag" my bar into the dirt.

No issues that I can come up with as long as you can keep control of the small saw when the round drops. When using the long bar on my saw, I have had several (usually very large) logs "drag" my bar into the dirt.

Yes. That was the interesting thing about this technique. As the small saw started cutting the top would pinch shut. But after that the log couldn't move at all until it snapped free at the bottom.

Yes. That was the interesting thing about this technique. As the small saw started cutting the top would pinch shut. But after that the log couldn't move at all until it snapped free at the bottom.
It will react the same when using the wedge technic from SportsBike above.

Last edited:
I use a wedge and one saw, one cut deal like stated above. You do need to still watch for bar pinch as the log drops, top bar pinches with big saws 70+cc can be dangerous.

Reactions: CTYank and muncybob
That's a good idea too!
I just assumed this is how everyone does it, when log is suspended from ends or in compression. Cut to a depth sufficient to clear insertion length of wedge, drop wedge in and give it a whack with a spare wedge (I keep one in each rear pocket), then finish cut. This is just how it's done, when log is suspended from both ends, but not high enough to finish cut from below.

The two-saw idea is neat, but I bet there's a fairly narrow range of diameters where it will actually work very well. Can't prove that easily, just guessing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just assumed this is how everyone does it, when log is suspended from ends or in compression. Cut to a depth sufficient to clear insertion length of wedge, drop wedge in and give it a whack with a spare wedge (I keep one in each rear pocket), then finish cut. This is just how it's done, when log is suspended from both ends, but not high enough to finish cut from below.

That's the way I've always done it. Was always going to get a simple tool belt or loggers belt to carry the wedges and a small rubber mallet, and other miscellaneous things but haven't yet. Maybe never will, hate to make it to much work hauling that extra stuff around, after all, I do it for relaxation and stress relief.

Reactions: CTYank
Yep, I use wedges for bucking and directional felling....don't leave home without them!

Reactions: CTYank and Lone_Gun
That's the way I've always done it. Was always going to get a simple tool belt or loggers belt to carry the wedges and a small rubber mallet, and other miscellaneous things but haven't yet. Maybe never will, hate to make it to much work hauling that extra stuff around, after all, I do it for relaxation and stress relief.
I stuff the wedges in the front pocket. Keeps the wife guessing.

Reactions: Sconnie Burner
Status
Not open for further replies.