Bucking setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
OK, I have a good amount of look logs to buck and am looking for some advice on setting up the logs for safety and efficiency. Seems I move a log, prop it up so it doesn't bind, cut that round, put down the saw, reposition the log....repeat.

I do what sport does and use a cant hook to turn the log

Reactions: CTYank
Careful with those rounds on the ground. Many will roll toward you as you try to cut them. I place a foot on a small log section before I even touch it with my saw.

Careful with those rounds on the ground. Many will roll toward you as you try to cut them. I place a foot on a small log section before I even touch it with my saw.
I do that too, but I often feel vulnerable having my leg/foot in the vicinity of the blade in case of mishaps.

The reason I have those Matterhorn boots with a stainless steel metatarsal guard. They cost a car payment but so does foot.

were they delivered , in a pile ? or just logs you've drug out to cut.
They are a soft maple from my yard that blew over in a storm and some friut trees the neighbor gave up on and cut down, peach mostly. I'm gonna see if the fruit trees are good for BBQ.

They are a soft maple from my yard that blew over in a storm and some friut trees the neighbor gave up on and cut down, peach mostly. I'm gonna see if the fruit trees are good for BBQ.

So not piled up then?

I would just start to cutting. Limbs off first then to length. Situations vary but there should be some point (or points)along the length of it that it will be off the ground a little bit. Start at one end or the other. Cut to the point of the cut not quite starting to close up at points where the log is fully on the ground (might want to use a wedge - not sure how big of a log you're talking), and cut right through at points where it is off the ground. That will keep your saw out of the ground. Then roll the multi-round lengths you've greated over and finish the other cuts. Shouldn't be any propping required with a methodical approach - assess up front & reassess as you go. Don't really know exactly what you're looking at though.

Status
Not open for further replies.