Buckstove model 81 or model 85

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbreland55

Jan 28, 2011
Southeast
Anyone out there with a Buck Stove model 81, 85 or possibly even the 74.

I'm interested to know if you can do north south loading with these stoves (especially the 81 or 85).
I can't seem to find any firebox dimensions anywhere and the buck stove website is useless.
I'm looking for the largest buck stove that still uses a 6" flue.

can anyone help ?

buck stove is about all thats available around here. I guess all the manufactures think we're too far south to use wood stoves (NOT)

thanks
James
South Mississippi

jbreland said:
Anyone out there with a Buck Stove model 81, 85 or possibly even the 74.

I'm interested to know if you can do north south loading with these stoves (especially the 81 or 85).
I can't seem to find any firebox dimensions anywhere and the buck stove website is useless.
I'm looking for the largest buck stove that still uses a 6" flue.

can anyone help ?

buck stove is about all thats available around here. I guess all the manufactures think we're too far south to use wood stoves (NOT)

thanks
James
South Mississippi

The 81 and 74 are the biggest you can get with a 6" flu. http://www.buckstove.com/buckfiles/AcrossAmerica-WoodBrochure-Small.pdf
I have the 74, keeps 2000 sq. ft. at 74* My manual actually suggest a north south load, woks good for me......

thanks for the reply.
can you tell me what the differance is between the model 81 and the model 74 ?

jbreland said:
thanks for the reply.

"Our Model 81 provides a rich dramatic focal point for a full view of the flames. The Model 81 is an outstanding choice for larger home heating requirements and exceeds expectations in form and function. Standard features include durable non-catalytic technology, factory installed variable speed blower, ash removal tray and glass door with airwash system. The Model 81 is available as a freestanding stove or as an insert for your masonry fireplace with a heating capacity of 1600 to 2700 square feet."

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model81.html

"The Model 74 is a non-catalytic wood burning stove designed to meet the most stringent emissions standards without the use of a catalytic combustor. Our Model 74 has a BTU rating of 40,900 and can heat up to 2600 square feet. The 74 delivers heavy duty heat performance and is available as a masonry and pre-fab fireplace insert or freestanding unit. Ask your local dealer about other options."

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model74.html

jbreland said:
thanks for the reply.

Only defferences are the series and the 74 has a slightly larger firebox. No major differneces, just looks.

Hi James. I have a Buck 81 (Insert). North-South is my preferred method for loading this stove. Seems to be the way to go given the dimensions for this stove.

FireBall said:
Hi James. I have a Buck 81 (Insert). North-South is my preferred method for loading this stove. Seems to be the way to go given the dimensions for this stove.

The primary air is fed into the stove at the bottom front rite in the middle. Obviously you will get better results with a N/S load but in secondary mode air is fed through 4 stainless tubes at the top of the firebox. E/W loading will slow down the primary air to the wood in the rear of the stove but it will all burn eventually. All in all your best bet in N/S.
Ohh and there is one other difference that I found. The 81 is part of the Bay series and the 74 is part of the Traditional series. Again, no major differnce. And based off of the brochure i have it appears the 81 comes standard with a blower and ash tray, the 74 has those as options.

Reactions: Wildbil
Status
Not open for further replies.