Buckstove versus Vermont Casting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srosinb1

Oct 8, 2010
washington DC
Hello everbody,
After freezing in my over a hundred years old house that has 5 fireplaces (originally were using as coal burning fireplaces) in last 9 years I decided to purchase a wood stove insert for one of them so I can get enough heat in this winter. Last couple days I was going from one shop to another shop to make a decision to find the right insert. I am totaly confused and i do not know what do I get to heat up my first floor of house It is a row house and kitchen is extention to the house with all natural tile from bottom to the ceiling and located at north. I have heat pump in that location and does not work properly. Because of the size of the existing fireplace I(30X30X18.5) I do not have too many option. So far I am going back and forward between Buckstove and Vermont Casting Montpelier. Which one is better regarding efficieny and generating the good heat without too much hassle. I love the size of glass door VC Montpelier but I realy need heat in this house. I would realy appriciate your help in advance.

Getting good firewood in D.C. is gonna be a problem. But what Buck stove are you talking about? They make a lot of different ones. All of which I think will kick a VC insert's butt. But I am real fond of steel stoves.

I guess I forgot to mentioned the model number. It is buckstove 74 non-catalytic wood fireplace insert. Are you sure about that buckstove is better than VC. Because i really need to make a decision soon to purchase a good one. As I said I am tired to be in cold during the winter in my old home. I wolud like to cut my energy bill plus calorie intake because of being in cold:) Do you have any suggestion for firewood to use in DC.

Hard to go wrong for a buck seventy four. That should be an easy burning stove as long as you have dry wood to burn.

Your problem in a DC row house is storing enough dry wood to last a season. I am in NOVA and in our previous home I bought firewood from a couple vendors and none was ever dry though they all sold "seasoned" wood. In our new place, I can store a couple years worth but that would be hard to do in a row house unless you turn your entire patio area into wood storage, buying now for next year.

For the cost, you may want to look at installing another heat pump or add a propane assists to your existing furnace. Alternately, you could install a ventless gas log set in one or two of the fireplaces with a nice sized propane tank out back to augment the heat. They can really heat an area and may be easier for you in the city.

Not having a good supply of dry wood will be a constant struggle and will end up in frustrating burns...which may make you regret spending the $4k it will likely take to get a good wood stove installed with a liner.

Jut a thought - you may not want to rush into buying until you think through the wood supply details. Another thought may be a pellet stove - I would think it would be easier to have pellets delivered and stored.

Rottiekyra said:
Hello everbody,
After freezing in my over a hundred years old house that has 5 fireplaces (originally were using as coal burning fireplaces) in last 9 years I decided to purchase a wood stove insert for one of them so I can get enough heat in this winter. Last couple days I was going from one shop to another shop to make a decision to find the right insert. I am totaly confused and i do not know what do I get to heat up my first floor of house It is a row house and kitchen is extention to the house with all natural tile from bottom to the ceiling and located at north. I have heat pump in that location and does not work properly. Because of the size of the existing fireplace I(30X30X18.5) I do not have too many option. So far I am going back and forward between Buckstove and Vermont Casting Montpelier. Which one is better regarding efficieny and generating the good heat without too much hassle. I love the size of glass door VC Montpelier but I realy need heat in this house. I would realy appriciate your help in advance.

I have no specific knowledge of those two models, but I know that Buckstove has a long history of making very durable and serviceable woodstoves, and that Vermont Castings has a history of spotty quality control while retaining premium prices.

I have a Buck model 74 in my fireplace and absolutely love it... It is going on its 4th burning season... It heats my entire 2600 sq' house toasty warm all winter long (upstairs and downstairs) and our furnace very rarely if ever kicks on (I keep the thermostat on the furnace at about 60 degrees just in case)... We burn 24/7 from mid November through the winter into early April, depending on the quality and type of wood that I have we only burn between 2 - 3 cords for the entire heating season... Of course we are in metro Atlanta so our winters are not brutal, but we do have spans of days where the temps will be in the high 20's... I definitely vote for Buck, the VC's are pretty though ;-)...

Buck's made a better name for themselves these days.. VCs have a pretty damaged reputation for the last decade or so as far as parts and customer service goes.

Thanks to you all. It was very helpful plus the wood information. I found a person who sell wood and people are happy with his product eventhough a little bit pricey than what I thought previously. What can be other alternative to buckstove. How about regency? The only problem with buck stove model 74 for it is sticking out 4 inches. I am not sure how the looks will be? Thanks again in advance.

OUCH! Monkeywrench, that hurt. Im very happy with my SBI (Flame/Enerzone_ etc...) 2.3cu.ft. firebox, and Im the smartest person I know! Just ask me.

Dear Monkey,
I do not your education but I am MD, PhD and I guess I already approved my intelligence! As many of us, i do my research instead of just believing what the makers website says. The whole reason i am here tho hear others personal view about the product instead of just going with sale person words. I do not know your purpose to be here but I assume you have plenty of spare time to joke around but I don't because I ave real job:) So please go ahead and read your self! :0)

Hi Rottyekira,
I agree with most of the comments you can find in this forum so far, and yes, if the VC castings and Buck Stove are your two only options, I will definitely put my vote in for the Buck Stove. They’re a great company with an amazing and country wide recognize product. Now, since you actually asked if there was anything else available outside those two brands, and that Wood-Fan-Atic brought up SBI products, I will definitely advise you to take a look to the Enerzone brand and their model 2.3.I before making your final choice. I’m an Enerzone big fan since they are the only ones giving you a lifetime warranty in the glass and the secondary air tubes (the ones that will allow you to burn EPA and increase efficiencies without having to replace any catalytic piece). Another plus, on regular maintenance, their blower is not only included (no need to add money for it) but it comes already installed in front of the unit, and you can have easy access to it (no need to unscrew anything). Heat output and quality can be compare to Bucks, but these little things like the warranty, the blower, the high density bricks, the easy customizable look and more importantly, since they’re not as old as the Buck Stoves their price is easily at least 20% lower. Also don’t forget that there is a 30% tax credit if you have the unit installed before Dec 31st. this is a nice incentive as well and the Enerzone insert I’m advising you to take a look at, definitely qualifies for this tax credit.
Keep me posted is you wish to have more information on this brand and their products. All the best!

I'd recommend the Buck stove. Many of their stove can be used as an insert, so you may be able to use either a cat or non-cat to fit your fireplace. As a matter of fact, I would recommend a Buck stove regardless of which manufacturers you have to choose from. They're well built stoves.

Thanks to you all, you all made my life is much easier. I will go with buckstove for now because it is not only a good stove I really do not have too many option to fit in my fireplace. After hearing a blower problem on I disregard the VC Montpelier. Even though I rated Hampton HI300 brown enamel stove as best looking stove it does not fit in my fireplace. After all investigation on wood insert I will move on to find gas fireplace inserts for four other fireplaces. By the way I was amazed about the sale persons knowledge work at any of these fire place shops. I wonder do they ever look at any vendors catalogue?. In two weeks I got more knowledge about brands, sizes, color option than any sale person I met by just looking at their website. I mean they are in this business how come they have no I idea about models, what are the options, etc. it is amazing! Cheers....

Sorry I have a VC Montpelier so maybe I can give an honest opinion! I love it! it heats my 1800 sq ft home in NYC I have posted some reviews here and videos on YouTube. It is a beautiful unit! I burn at night and weekends I reduced my oil consumption by 2/3 and my home is much warmer! I don't have a buck but people seem to like them too! It seems like good seasoned wood is a must for all modern stoves including the VC. I have been very interested the cat. Stoves like the Blaze king and hearth stone. Why not have 20/40 hour burn times! When it comes down to it it's all about heating the home! Good luck!

Question to all wood insert users,
I was mentioning about I am getting a wood burning stove at work some people aware me about smoke smell in the house while insert is working. Do you smell smoke in your home?

Rottiekyra said:
Question to all wood insert users,
I was mentioning about I am getting a wood burning stove at work some people aware me about smoke smell in the house while insert is working. Do you smell smoke in your home?
No smoke! The newer stoves/inserts have modern technology that make them a pleasure! There are proper ways to run the stove that will limit any smoke from entering your home!

Smoke in the house mean a poor drafting chimney usually. It is important to install the insert correctly. Too many people try to take shortcuts by stubbing them into a large fireplace stove and then blaming the insert when it is the installation that is at fault. Same thing goes for trying to burn unseasoned wood. Like my Dad used to say, cars aren't the problem, it's the nut behind the wheel you need to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.