Buckt Cherry, stacked.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
It was a decent day to get some woodwork done, not too hot and a bit of breeze. We split and stacked some White Ash, and I finished bucking and hauling out a blowdown Black Cherry that I found when I cut the Ash.

This Cherry was bigger than I thought; About 50' long and 18"+ DBH. Gotta be almost a half cord of quick-drying wood there. I'm hoping to be able to burn it this year. MC now about 28% on the wettest rounds. I've got about 1/2 cord of other dry wood to start the season, and I'm hoping to find more dry wood on some dead standing Red Oaks I'm going to cut.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-7.jpg
I've noticed something that concerns me; Most of my wood pics are of rounds, and you guys are always posting pics of split and stacked wood. :lol: Well, we finally got a bit stacked. This cord of Ash is from the tree where I screwed up the back cut and had to pull it down with the quad (stacked a few weeks ago,) and another Ash that I dropped and bucked last weekend. This will be dry for the end of 2011, I hope.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/002-6.jpg
This was the last round processed today. :cheese:
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/003-5.jpg

Very Nice! I need a fat tire. ;-)

smokinjay said:
Very Nice! I need a fat tire. ;-)
Drink enough of them, and you'll have a spare tire! :lol:

Woody Stover said:
It was a decent day to get some woodwork done, not too hot and a bit of breeze. We split and stacked some White Ash, and I finished bucking and hauling out a blowdown Black Cherry that I found when I cut the Ash.

This Cherry was bigger than I thought; About 50' long and 18"+ DBH. Gotta be almost a half cord of quick-drying wood there. I'm hoping to be able to burn it this year. MC now about 28% on the wettest rounds. I've got about 1/2 cord of other dry wood to start the season, and I'm hoping to find more dry wood on some dead standing Red Oaks I'm going to cut.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-7.jpg
I've noticed something that concerns me; Most of my wood pics are of rounds, and you guys are always posting pics of split and stacked wood. :lol: Well, we finally got a bit stacked. This cord of Ash is from the tree where I screwed up the back cut and had to pull it down with the quad (stacked a few weeks ago,) and another Ash that I dropped and bucked last weekend. This will be dry for the end of 2011, I hope.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/002-6.jpg
This was the last round processed today. :cheese:
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/003-5.jpg

That last round looks like the best out of the whole tree, nice work.

zap

zapny said:
That last round looks like the best out of the whole tree, nice work. zap

Yeah, that's my type of round after a days work too ;-)

That last Round is always the best.....If your worried that were buying and not splitting wood. Here are some Rounds. 2 Craiglist Scores and an Old Elm that was next to the house..

That entire wood area was not there before May 1st. Little work done in 2-2.5 months. (Busy Bee)

Attachments

• Load of Silver Maple 1.jpg
    Load of Silver Maple 1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 589
  • Load of Silver Maple 2.jpg
    Load of Silver Maple 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 583
  • Old Elm next to house.jpg
    Old Elm next to house.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 598
  • Wood area Complete.jpg
    Wood area Complete.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 600
Woody, you are quite a man to still be bucking up wood at this time of the year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woody, you are quite a man to still be bucking up wood at this time of the year.

I don't know about woody, but I bucked & split 1/2 cord of soft maple here earlier today, & didn't feel like much more than a melted popsicle by the time I was done. A C

DexterDay said:
If your worried that were buying and not splitting wood. Here are some Rounds
That entire wood area was not there before May 1st. Little work done in 2-2.5 months. (Busy Bee)
I've been keeping up with your storage project, very impressive. Very neat, too. By the time I get done stacking a three-year supply, I will have pile scattered all through the woods; I'll be lucky if I can find half of 'em! :lol: I was just making the point of how far behind I am, compared with most of you guys who have had your stacks drying.

Backwoods Savage said:
I don't know about that...more like quite the slacker for not having my wood (and my SILs') earlier. In my defense, I just got "dry-wood religion" last Winter, when I discovered the hearth.com forums. All those years of burning, I could never figure out why the Ash burned so great compared to Red Oak. Now I know that Oak takes two years, not two months. :lol: I wasn't too quick on the uptake, I guess...I just thought wood was wood, and "seasoned" was split and stacked for a few warm months.

It was warm yesterday, but not too bad. My shirt was wet, but pants were still dry. :lol: I made sure to park the quad below the bucked wood so I could roll it down to the trailer. :cheese:

Mmmm, this stuff is looking pretty red today. Can't split it now, we've got some weather moving in. Looks like that "last round" may be the first today. :cheese: I'm gonna split small and hope for a long, dry Fall.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-10.jpg

[quote author="Woody Stover" In my defense, I just got "dry-wood religion" last Winter, when I discovered the hearth.com forums. All those years of burning, I could never figure out why the Ash burned so great compared to Red Oak. Now I know that Oak takes two years, not two months. :lol: I wasn't too quick on the uptake, I guess...I just thought wood was wood, and "seasoned" was split and stacked for a few warm months.[/quote]

Woody,
2 things you and I have in common:

beer
a history of bad burning habbits

amateur cutter said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I don't know about woody, but I bucked & split 1/2 cord of soft maple here earlier today, & didn't feel like much more than a melted popsicle by the time I was done. A C

Ah ha. Another one! I stayed in the air conditioned house today.

Woody, your story just makes me feel great. Just knowing we have helped another wood burner in his knowledge of what it really takes, well, it is good. That is exactly what we attempt to do here on hearth.com

Ah ha. Another one! I stayed in the air conditioned house today.

OK, let me clarify, this stuff won't get burned till Oct Nov 2012, I was just in the mood to get the processing area cleaned up. For the first time in years every stick of wood on this place is c/s/s. Now I just gotta move a couple of cord up from down below where it's been seasoning. Then the minute the weather cools off a bit it's back to cutting. The ultimate goal here is 30-40 cord c/s/s & at least one year seasoned, at that point I plan to sell premium firewood in cord quantity to few folks. A C

Woody Stover said:
DexterDay said:
If your worried that were buying and not splitting wood. Here are some Rounds
I've been keeping up with your storage project, very impressive. Very neat, too. By the time I get done stacking a three-year supply, I will have pile scattered all through the woods; I'll be lucky if I can find half of 'em! :lol: I was just making the point of how far behind I am, compared with most of you guys who have had your stacks drying.

Backwoods Savage said:
I don't know about that...more like quite the slacker for not having my wood (and my SILs') earlier. In my defense, I just got "dry-wood religion" last Winter, when I discovered the hearth.com forums. All those years of burning, I could never figure out why the Ash burned so great compared to Red Oak. Now I know that Oak takes two years, not two months. :lol: I wasn't too quick on the uptake, I guess...I just thought wood was wood, and "seasoned" was split and stacked for a few warm months.

It was warm yesterday, but not too bad. My shirt was wet, but pants were still dry. :lol: I made sure to park the quad below the bucked wood so I could roll it down to the trailer. :cheese:

Mmmm, this stuff is looking pretty red today. Can't split it now, we've got some weather moving in. Looks like that "last round" may be the first today. :cheese: I'm gonna split small and hope for a long, dry Fall.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-10.jpg

I still think I am behind the curve. I just rotated some stock today. My Pine from May is about 15%-20%. Put it up in the shed to make more room for Ash and Maple's. Thoought you were asking for Pics. Some people do buy there wood. I have got 80% of my wood for free from Craiglist or Buddies.

Your doing an awesome job yourself. I don't want to have a problem with wet wood in my 1st year, thats why I am only burning Silver Maple, Ash, Cherry and Pine. All of what I have of that is About 20% (Give or take). The cherry I got (On a trade) is 2 years old, and when I split a peice, it was around 11% M/C... Got about a cord of that. 2 Cord of Maple and a lil over a Cord of Pine.. The other wood is harder woods that will take a little longer and make me appreciate HardWoods even more. I am looking forward to this winter. But even more so to next winter, when I can burn Better (Higher BTU) Wood. Good Luck and Good Job again..... Always impressed by the people on this Forum. My wood area would not look the way it does, if I didn't pull all my ideas from other people. 1 thing from one guy/ another thing from another guy/ and so on. We all learn from one another.

DexterDay said:
My Pine from May is about 15%-20%.
Huh. I figured Pine would dry even faster/drier than that. Was your Pine from live trees?
I've got some Red Pine that I still need to split. It was dead standing and I'll be splitting it very small for starter wood, so I think it will be dry enough in a few months. I have so many balls in the air right now, wood-wise, that I can't get done everything I want to do as quickly as I would like.

DexterDay said:
I don't want to have a problem with wet wood in my 1st year, thats why I am only burning Silver Maple, Ash, Cherry and Pine. All of what I have of that is About 20% (Give or take). The cherry I got (On a trade) is 2 years old, and when I split a peice, it was around 11% M/C... Got about a cord of that. 2 Cord of Maple and a lil over a Cord of Pine.. The other wood is harder woods that will take a little longer and make me appreciate HardWoods even more. I am looking forward to this winter. But even more so to next winter, when I can burn Better (Higher BTU) Wood.
Even though I've been burning for many years, it feels like my first year because I just recently found out (thanks to everyone here) that my wood needs to be a whole lot drier for me to enjoy heating with wood to the fullest. I'm looking forward to this Winter, as well. The White Ash will be a notch above your other types. It's a "hardwood" for sure. You'll like it. How much of that do you have?

We power-split the first Cherry a couple of days ago, but the wood on the outside of the split stack already seemed lighter in weight. Yesterday I cut another Cherry, which was dead standing with the top blown out of it. It was about 9" DBH, 35' long. Max MC was 20%. I split that one by hand this AM. Nothing like a split shot to the shin in the morning to remind you you're alive! :shut:

This stack, both trees, looks like about 5/6 cord. The lighter-colored wood toward the right end of the stack is from the smaller tree. I guess it's a little drier? Not all the wood from the smaller tree was that light in color. I had the stack ended on the right with pieces laid crossways every few rows. But it heard it start to shift and had to stack more wood to hold the end from blowing out. Got too lazy I guess, I'll have to make my ends better.
I think I have enough wood stacked for 2011, but I'll get some more fast-drying stuff to make sure. There's some Silver Maple I can get...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/006-1.jpg

Keep at it Woody. You are doing fine.

Backwoods Savage said:
Keep at it Woody. You are doing fine.
Thanks, D. I will definitely keep at it. Once I have everyone set up for this year, I'll split Sugar Maple and Pignut Hickory for next year, in case the Black Oak isn't quite dry enough (I split that a bit bigger.) I hope to have '12 and '13 stacked before Winter arrives.

Now that is sounding really good Woody. You are right on the verge of being a professional!!!!! Let the rest of us know how it goes when you reach that full stage of pro.

Backwoods Savage said:
You are right on the verge of being a professional!!!!
A professional!! I like the sound of that! I guess that means I will have to quit my job; It's really cutting into my wood-gettin' time. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.