Buderus boiler, Aquasmart controller issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philco56

Dec 7, 2014
Hi All
This is what I have a Buderus gs 115 w4 boiler .075 nozzle with an Aquasmart controller, taco zone vales, 1 circulator, stackable indirect water storage, Argo AZ 3 controller that controls all zones. Here is my issue, Boiler cycles for call for heat, on for 5minutes or less off for the same time and then back on again until no call for heat. Water temp on controller reads 185-190. Water temp on P+T reads 168. Thermo gun on elbow right on the back of the boiler supply line reads 165-168. Do i have a bad 2n1 sensor or controller and how would I check it. DHW sensor is a honeywell aquastat in the tank seams to be no issues with that. I also believe the way the Aquasmart is wired I am not using it to the fullest.
Thanks
Philco56

Sounds like the sensor for your controller isnt doing its thing.

Not sure of how to check it, unless there is a manual for it that lists a procedure to check it. Probably something on the order of checking a resistance with a known reference temperature.

What makes you think you arent using the controller to the fullest?

I have about 10 weeks hands-on experience with my Aquasmart in a similar configuration The difference in the temperature reading probably shouldn't be a major concern, that's more a function of the thermowell and the location difference from the P/T gauge.

What is the Aquasmart's Low Limit and Low Limit Differential set for?

Is there anything connected to the Aquasmart TT connection (on the side, not feeding in from the bottom)? (Likely not, as the Argo should be calling via the ZR contacts)..

OK
I have about 10 weeks htw-on experience with my Aquasmart in a similar configuration The difference in the temperature reading probably shouldn't be a major concern, that's more a function of the thermowell and the location difference from the P/T gauge.

Is there anything connected to the Aquasmart TT connection (on the side, not feeding in from the bottom)? (Likely not, as the Argo should be calling via the ZR contacts)..
The low limit is set at 140 with a 10 diff. The zone panel is wired to tw tr. There is nothing on the zc zr or b2. No priority on the zone controller. I must also add boiler was drained for 9 months, wonder if this could of had an effect on the sensor.
Thanks
Philco56
I have about 10 weeks hands-on experience with my Aquasmart in a similar configuration The difference in the temperature reading probably shouldn't be a major concern, that's more a function of the thermowell and the location difference from the P/T gauge.

OK
The low limit is set at 140 with a 10 diff. The zone panel is wired to tw tr. There is nothing on the zc zr or b2. No priority on the zone controller. I must also add boiler was drained for 9 months, wonder if this could of had an effect on the sensor.
Thanks
Philco56

Ok. It seems like the Argo may be starting the circulator, but not signalling the Aquasmart via Tw/Tr. The Aquasmart hits the low limit and fires up, but only until the low differential (10 degrees). Then the burner will shut off. *Then* the Argo calls for heat. Aquasmart will then fire the burner until the high limit is reached, or the call for heat is satisfied.

I looked at the AZ3 manual; the X-X contact (which I assume is connected to Beckett Tw/Tr) will not close until the AZ3 detects the zone valve end switch has closed. So, the Beckett might not see a call for heat at all. How are the Tacos wired to the zones? 2/3/4 wire?
Is the DHW just another zone valve?

Reason for asking is that valves without an end switch require jumper across pins 3-4...

Possibly a sticky valve that isn't hitting the end switch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.