budget small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i know the 'best small stove' question has been asked a million times, but the recommendations are mostly nice stoves well over $1k. while i wish i could spring for a Jotul or Hearthstone, i will probably hold off until i buy a house (and save up more $$$!). in the meantime, for my DIY project, can i get some small stove recs thrown my way so i know where to start in my search? here's my specs...

1st floor of 2-family cinderblocker in Central CT. 856 sq ft living space, according to my measurements, w/ 7.5-8ft ceilings throughout. temps will get down to the teens regularly in the winter and dip close to 0º F every once in a while. baseboard oil heat is the main heat source supplemented with oil-filled space heaters in the bedrooms. not too well insulated but not terrible either. the stove would go in the existing masonry fireplace (which passed inspection recently) that is kinda towards the front of the house, but still in the general middle open living area of the house.

my goal is to have the furnace stay off unless it needs to fill the water tank. i'd also like to be able to keep our room door open and not have to use our space heater at night as well as the heater in my kid's room. i thiiiiiiiink i can do it if i plan it out well. my budget (please, don't be too harsh if i'm being unrealistic) is $1500. from what i have gathered so far, a liner will cost me around $500 and i'm hoping the stove will be $500-800 which will give me some padding just in case (this is why i don't want to cross the $1000 mark on a stove).

the good thing is the size of our house is smaller than i originally thought after measuring. the bad thing is, i think the shape and size of the fireplace might limit what i can do. i'd like to stick to a standalone stove partially into the fireplace if possible. it's an arch shape with the tallest point of the opening being 30.5" and the base being 36" across. i picked a stove at random (Englander 12-FP 25 1/4" W x 26" H x 14" D) just to 'fit' it and that would be about 1.5" too wide at it's height.

anyone with experience or ideas that can point me in a direction, it'd be much appreciated. thanks!

In the Englander family, I'd opt for the Englander 13NC over the 12FP. The 13NC is an EPA stove with longer, cleaner burns. Also take a look at the True North and Timberwolf lines of stoves.

Englander 13NC!

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Central CT also.

I agree the 13 is the one you want. We had a 12 and just switched to the 13.More heat and less wood. Buy it brand new from blains farm and fleet. It came with a blower shipped to my door for around 680.

ENGLANDER 13...I am trying supplement an 1800 sq ft area of my home and the NC-13 seems that it will do a decent job....my 1000 sq ft first floor has been 73f in the stove room and 69-71 in the rest of the area and I havent been burning 1 full day yet...I think with a lot of 24/7 burning you can gradually increase temps overall... Use the link below...you will be hard pressed to find a better deal.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ting_cooling/summers_heat/?b=Summers+Heat&p=1

I put in a Century insert about 1 month ago and spent about 1600 including the liner, insulation and stove. I bought the stove through Ace Hardware since it was shipped free to the store.

He said the 12 wouldn't fit, which means the 13 won't fit. Any recommendations for an inexpensive stove smaller than a 12 or 13?

"i picked a stove at random (Englander 12-FP 25 1/4†W x 26†H x 14†D) just to ‘fit’ it and that would be about 1.5†too wide at it’s height. "

Not sure about the "too wide at it's height" but my century is only 22" high and 28" wide.

thanks for the replies. to clarify, the Englander i tried to 'fit' into my fireplace is -- according to the company -- 25.25" wide at the 26" height. at 26" high, the arch of my fireplace is about 24" wide. so, if specs are right, that stove would not fit. unless i can shorten it by a couple inches. anyone have real, installed measurements for the 13? maybe that's the top of the outlet measurement (if i'm lucky!). thanks again!

Give Englander tech support a call for more detailed info. They are good folks.

toonces,
Don't mean to change the subject, but great screen name. Is that a reference back to Toonces, the driving cat from Saturday Night Live?

Yep just measured it. Those specs you got are right sad to say. Bust up that hearth and make a new one! the 17 might be an option.

Try looking up Drolet, Osburn or Napoleon, they have lots of options at low prices.

Mine would have been too tall so I cut a few inches off the legs with a port a band saw and bolted them back on. Being an optional insert I could have just taken them off, I have about 8 inches to top now and heat 1k sq ft.

yes! Toonces, the cat who could drive a car! 'Toonces, LOOK OUT!' :eek:

i think i found a good candidate: the Drolet Pyropak. a few inches of clearance on either side of the arch at their specified height. the brochure states it's even smaller than the website spec. would fit nicely in the fireplace. up to 1000 sq ft of heating. good reviews on the internets. $580 shipped to my local Ace. and, strangely light weight according to their specs (174 lbs) which would be awesome for the ride home.

Ramcononer said:
ENGLANDER 13...I am trying supplement an 1800 sq ft area of my home and the NC-13 seems that it will do a decent job....my 1000 sq ft first floor has been 73f in the stove room and 69-71 in the rest of the area and I havent been burning 1 full day yet...I think with a lot of 24/7 burning you can gradually increase temps overall... Use the link below...you will be hard pressed to find a better deal.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ting_cooling/summers_heat/?b=Summers+Heat&p=1

Prices are all over the map, Home depot has this same stove NC-13 listed at $1049 while THe much larger version NC-30 is listed at $899

toonces said:
yes! Toonces, the cat who could drive a car! 'Toonces, LOOK OUT!' :eek:

i think i found a good candidate: the Drolet Pyropak. a few inches of clearance on either side of the arch at their specified height. the brochure states it's even smaller than the website spec. would fit nicely in the fireplace. up to 1000 sq ft of heating. good reviews on the internets. $580 shipped to my local Ace. and, strangely light weight according to their specs (174 lbs) which would be awesome for the ride home.

That might work out, the price is reasonable. Drolet lists its weight at 220#.

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/pyropak

I love my 17-VL, only complaint is the short burn times. On pine/fir etc I can get 2.5-3 hours of heat. With mixed other woods I've had as much as 4 hours. I don't have any seasoned oak or anything but I think if I did it would probably burn 5 hours or a little better.

**edit**
It heats my 1,250sq ft home in Central Maine really well till its about 20F out, then it struggles.

"Pyropak"? Really???

joecool85 said:
I love my 17-VL, only complaint is the short burn times. On pine/fir etc I can get 2.5-3 hours of heat. With mixed other woods I've had as much as 4 hours. I don't have any seasoned oak or anything but I think if I did it would probably burn 5 hours or a little better.

**edit**
It heats my 1,250sq ft home in Central Maine really well till its about 20F out, then it struggles.

Just did a burn last night with all pine, half was splits half were small rounds/logs (3-4" round) and it went for 3.5 hours and had enough coals to reload on, it was keeping the house warm with it 5F outside, but stove temps got to 620F and I had a fan on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.