Buffalo B-100 Pellet Auger Noise..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairwind

Nov 21, 2015
Colorado
I picked up one of these stoves at a bankruptcy sale, the stove was a demonstrator and was in "as new" condition. I have installed it and it works great except for the noise from the pellet auger/motor/gearbox...it makes a low frequency growling sound that's MUCH louder than the two blowers together..I thought there was a mechanical problem so I removed the back cover, everything looked good....So I proceeded to remove the auger assembly from the hopper, just two screws hold it in place, and inspected it, found nothing wrong..So I powered it up on the bench and it ran ran smoothly and quietly, just the faintest rumble from the gearbox... Since I had it out, I lubed all the shafts and bearings, let it run on the bench for a few minutes, it was very quiet, even when I put some resistance on the auger.. Put everything back together. While it was a LITTLE quieter, the noise is still somewhat objectionable. I've come to the conclusion that the hopper, a separate part bolted to the stove to which the auger is attached acts like a megaphone, amplifying the sound into the room...Just one of those annoying design features I guess I'll have to live with...

Anyone else out there running one of these stoves??

Can you post a picture of the stove and a picture of the control panel?
I believe the stove body is the same as the Pelpro Bay View and all the parts are the same Except the control panel. If so a new 2 RPM high quality Gleason Avery gear box motor should sound quieter. :)

Can you post a picture of the stove and a picture of the control panel?
I believe the stove body is the same as the Pelpro Bay View and all the parts are the same Except the control panel. If so a new 2 RPM high quality Gleason Avery gear box motor should sound quieter. :)
I think that's the auger assembly installed in mine..The gearbox has a GA casting mark...Yes indeed, the Pelpro Bay View looks almost identical to my Buffalo B-100..Mine has a one-piece top and separate doors for the combustion chamber and heat exchanger outlet. The layout of the firebox seems a little different. I think Buffalo Stove is still in business.

Pelpro lists the Bay View model as discontinued while Buffalo is still making it as the B-100 I think..Maybe Buffalo purchased the tooling from Pelpro..The Pelpro pellet auger, gearbox and motor look completely different than mine..The control panel is certainly different..The $141.00 stainless "log" that slips in front of the firebox is identical..My heat exchanger has 10 tubes in a single row with a cleaning rod / scraper in the center..

Attachments

• DCP_8092.JPG
    DCP_8092.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DCP_8091.JPG
    DCP_8091.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DCP_8089.JPG
    DCP_8089.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DCP_8088.JPG
    DCP_8088.JPG