Buffer/expansion tank feasibility!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaton

Aug 22, 2011
Hastings, Michigan
I live near a hot water tank manufacturer and they scrap dented/unuseable tanks. If I could pick up a couple 80 or 125 gallon hot water tanks would they be ok for my buffer and expansion tanks? House water pressure is by far higher than the 12 to 30 psi that my system will have in it. Got ahold of the scrap yard that takes care of them and was told it should't be a problem getting the tanks.

I'd bet the plumbing involved in connectiong 8-10 smaller tanks will be greater than paying for one tank and saving on the plumbing. Just my two cents...

stee6043 said:
I'd bet the plumbing involved in connectiong 8-10 smaller tanks will be greater than paying for one tank and saving on the plumbing. Just my two cents...
I have my 850 gallon upright tank for storage, these would just be for a buffer tank in the house, and the expansion tank in the boiler shed.

If the tanks are thin enough to dent I'd be a little afraid that that the dent may have weakened it and could fail early in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.