BUFFER TANK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stratton

Mar 13, 2012
southern ct
Looking for advice -
I am adding an 80 gallon buffer tank. Pipe from boiler to buffe will be 1.25 inches. Ports on buffer tank are only three quarter inch. Will there be a restriction problem? the tank is a hot water heater so there is no coil inside. Do you guys think this will work or do I need a tank with 1.25 inch. I really do not want to return this tank if I dont have to.

Luke

Looking for advice -
I am adding an 80 gallon buffer tank. Pipe from boiler to buffe will be 1.25 inches. Ports on buffer tank are only three quarter inch. Will there be a restriction problem? the tank is a hot water heater so there is no coil inside. Do you guys think this will work or do I need a tank with 1.25 inch. I really do not want to return this tank if I dont have to.

Luke
What type of flow rates?

Look inside most 1-1/4" zone valves or control valves for balancing, etc. You will generally see an orfice inside with about a 5/8- 3/4" hole :) Same with some of the low cost, reduced port ball valves.

Increase as soon as possible, close nipple and a 1-1/4 x 3/4" reducing coupling. Limit the flow rate to around 12 gpm and you will be fine, it may cost a bit of pressure drop, but with only two connections or so not to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.