Bug ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodbee burner

Sep 15, 2014
Nevada
20150728_195748.jpg I have this pine stacke between unseasoned apple and seasoned juniper . I found powder piles all over the pine and a constant scraping sound. Also, I have a couple rounds on my basketball court with the same sounds. Interestingly they don't seem interested in my other wood types.

All that said I found these winged bugs hanging around the woodpile and I think it is more than coincidence. I am concerned with identification of these guys as my home is on a small city lot and I want to make sure to keep my structures safe. What do you guys think?

Looks too big to be a powder post beetle.
There are lots of bugs that hang around wood piles though. In the shade and the safe nooks and crannies hiding from their predators.

We have pine sawyer beetle that infest pine firewood, mostly unsplit rounds - anything with the bark still on them and a pine bark beetle that likes live trees.

They sound like huge termites munching away.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the picture, but that might be a stump stabber. There are other less PC names for it. Basically a wasp that feeds on wood boring bugs. The wasp is a beneficial insect and they do not sting people (at least not that I've ever heard).

Check out the link to see if this is your bug:

http://bugs.adrianthysse.com/2010/06/the-stump-stabber-an-ichneumon-wasp/

It looks like a wasp to me. We don't have the same wasps here in PA and you probably have in Nevada, so I don't recognize it. Generally Wasps are beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.