bug id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
can anyone id this bug? these are coming in right under my basement door that has a good rubber seal. these are coming in standing at the door about 30 minutes i killed 25. they have a hard shell. when you step on them they crack. and stink.
what can i do to get rid of these. i put down hornet spray that kills crawling things like spiders and the like last night they are starting to come in again. do they hurt little kids or kittens? they are 1 inch long.

thanks

Attachments

• DSC03412.jpg
    DSC03412.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 298
Looks like what we call "Silver Fish" in these parts.......

They just "are" is all.........

-Soupy1957

It's a centipede. I usually see them at work where they come up from the foundation and slab. The die when exposed to dry air for a while and end up curled in a circle. Do you have any rotted wood or leaves that they are living in?. I am wondering if the hot weather is drying out their habitat and going elsewhere to find a new home.

The above are wrong, sorry. It is a standard issue millipede. Vegetarian. Don't bite. Won't live inside your house. Kittens might eat em, high in protein.

They come in in waves. I find piles of these guys dead in dark corners of my garage and foyer. You will too.

millipedes
didn't know they stink when crushed :)

I've only seen little ones and they're usually dead on the double hung window sill and stool all curled up about half the size of a penny.
Some on the front door stoop. Outside.

fire works best for pests like multipedes and burmese tigers. apply generous amounts of fire to pest, wait 10-15 seconds, repeat if necessary. I keep getting those dang earwigs in my house. they really need to come up with a less menacing name for them.

So.............it's NOT a "Silverfish?" Dang!!

-Soupy1957

thanks guys. i never had them till last year. they went away now back. nothing changed this year or last, but loads of them around the outside of the house, and earwigs. i've only had one centipede in the house and he was about 2.5 to 3 inches long. fast too. how or can i keep them from coming inside?

fbelec said:
thanks guys. i never had them till last year. they went away now back. nothing changed this year or last, but loads of them around the outside of the house, and earwigs. i've only had one centipede in the house and he was about 2.5 to 3 inches long. fast too. how or can i keep them from coming inside?

bad news on the centipedes:

--you have more than one
--they DO live and breed in your house (they can't live outside indefinitely)
--the best way to be rid of them is to starve them--they eat the other bugs that blunder into your house, and the spiders that compete with them.
--if they are fast, they are still well fed and healthy.
--after some airsealing, I have a lot fewer and they are practically lethargic

I am NOT obsessed with house centipedes--that's my wife.

only found that last one 2 to 3 years ago or something like that no others. spiders is another story. lots.

i stand corrected. :red:

soupy1957 said:
So.............it's NOT a "Silverfish?" Dang!!

-Soupy1957

Not a silverfish.. If it was, one way to see if it is/was a silverfish is to smush it. Silverfish tend to turn to dust when smushed...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.