bug zapper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
Lady beetles must be coming out of hibernation and are flying directly at my stove when the lights are off. The poor little buggers look like burnt popcorn and smell up the place in the process. At least with the warmer weather I'll be letting the fire burn out soon.

Poor little guys! Haven't heard of this happening before, but I've had my share of kamikaze moths at my outside fires! Cheers!

least they are not stink bugs....saw my first one of the year yesterday. actually it somehow got on my neck and i felt it crawling around. when i reached back and grabbed it, the aroma was delightful....yuck!
reminded me of when i was a kid picking berries....sometimes would get one while picking. funny how some things stay with you.

cass

Welcome to the forum Prof. When we have them, we use an emptry yogurt container. Put just a tad of dish soap in the bottom with some water to about a third full. When you see them you can simply hold the dish under them and knock them into it. They die right away with no smell. On the stove? Yes, that stinks!

Prof said:
Lady beetles must be coming out of hibernation and are flying directly at my stove when the lights are off. The poor little buggers look like burnt popcorn and smell up the place in the process. At least with the warmer weather I'll be letting the fire burn out soon.

You have bugs in your house flying to your woodstove???

A couple of years ago we developed a moth problem. Drove us crazy trying to get rid of them. When we started firing up the 30 at night they would head for it and get toasted.

Why do you guys have bugs in your houses? :p

I guess letting them toast themselves is one way of getting rid of them, even if it is a bit smelly. On the other hand, some bug sprays can smell even worse.

I wish more of those asian beetles would commit suicide at my house.
We have had those buggers all winter.
Smelly things and they taste awful.

Since I had insulation installed under the siding, hopefully next year will we not have as many in the house as this winter.

Davot said:

I guess letting them toast themselves is one way of getting rid of them, even if it is a bit smelly. On the other hand, some bug sprays can smell even worse.

Why are you selling stoves in Finland and saying you are in Southern, MA?

BrotherBart said:
Davot said:

Why are you selling stoves in Finland and saying you are in Southern, MA?

The commute must be horrendous! :)

Because there are a different beetle that looks similar to the lady bug. They are awful and come at us by the millions every fall. They can get into the smallest crack there is and most people find them crawling out of the woodwork all winter long. Nasty things they are.

Backwoods Savage said:
Because there are a different beetle that looks similar to the lady bug. They are awful and come at us by the millions every fall. They can get into the smallest crack there is and most people find them crawling out of the woodwork all winter long. Nasty things they are.

Now that you mention it, I recall hearing about them being an invasive species perhaps, or something. Big problem some areas, we don't have them around here. [Yet] Now I understand.

SteveKG said:
Why would anyone want to kill off lady beetles anyway???

Because they are a gigantic PAIN IN THE ASZ!! Try living in an area that is infested with them!

Backwoods Savage said:

Glad we don't have them.

We have them, they suck!!!!!!!!!!! They are a pain to get rid of!!! I tore all of the drywall out of the whole end of the house to seal it up and so far this year I have found 14 inside. BUT behind the insulated siding they look like the following picture that I took last week.

My next step is to pull all the siding on that end of the house and seal it from the outside as well. FML!

Scott

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 173
This is a photo I took when they were just starting. This is just one small spot on a post. Now imagine having that many or more on your entire house!!! Yes, it happens. This occurs in early to mid October every year and they can find the smallest crack that it is amazing and then you find them inside the house within a short time. The first time this happened I could hardly believe my eyes. We came home on a very warm October day and the whole living room ceiling had changed colors because it was wall to wall solid with these things. We did learn there is one thing they don't like and that is lemon scent. We also found that on those sunny days when they cover the house, in the evening if we go around the house with a shop vac we can suck up millions of them as they just barely get below the dirt level so suck them up we do. It helps.

EDIT: This picture was taken on a 4 x 6 post so you can get an idea of the size.

Bugs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.