Bught a new Catalytic. Questions on install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HotCoals said:
I hear they make a slip joint for making it a easier job?
well i have two 45s so i have to take it off to clean. but i do have a slip piece where it connects to the stove so i just slide it up and turn it so the pipe comes off in bout 2 seconds. you have double correct?

Mine is single wall till it gets to the second floor..then it's that class a chrome looking stuff..lol.
I need what you have..it was a pain to get it together when I bought the new stove..sorta had to slide the stove in as someone else lined up the pipe!

the double wall is expensive. so get ready to pay. but it last a long time. my little section bout 3 feet with 2 45s and stove collar were over 300 bucks

ecocavalier02 said:
the double wall is expensive. so get ready to pay. but it last a long time. my little section bout 3 feet with 2 45s and stove collar were over 300 bucks

DANG!
They must make telescopic single wall right?
I know BK recommends double wall but I burned 24/7 last season and didn't have any probs..cap was a little plugged on the screen though.

BTW..our single wall is over 24 years old!

New gasket? YES the old one will come out in pieces. They swell up when they get hot & will friction fit & seal the new one.
Double wall:
I changed to double wall, per the BK dealer explaining how the draft works, Cat heat the flue very little so any heat loss can cause draft issues when burning on low & it's real cold out, the heavy cold air can overcome the warm draft & cause the stove to leak CO into the house. It happened to me on some below zero days so I when double wall. Even double wall can have leaks, I found a few small ones & wrapped foil around the pipe to test if it stopped & it did, but still have the foil on it. (some temporary things have a way of becoming permanent) . I plan to get the High temp stove caulking some day. (CO alarm caught the draft inversion it pretty quick.
I installed the slip joint just above the short, stove double wall collar piece, but when I pulled it & cleaned the cat chamber, I didn't find much. ** My stack isn't straight up so any creosote falling down the chimney don't get into the top of my stove. I figure I'll clean & inspect that section every 2 years.
2 45° are much better than a 90° & help improve draft also.
My double wall pipe:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/73529/

HotCoals said:
ecocavalier02 said:

DANG!
They must make telescopic single wall right?
I know BK recommends double wall but I burned 24/7 last season and didn't have any probs..cap was a little plugged on the screen though.

BTW..our single wall is over 24 years old!

Yes they make single wall slip pipe and it makes cleaning much easier as the stove doesn't need to be moved anymore..

Ray

well the cat did not come with the gasket like i thought. should have known.. so i will have to order that now. lol i thought it came with it..

bogydave said:
Bummer.
You are going to be the "Go to" guy for BK stoves.
You are gaining the maintenance & catalytic experience in a "condensed" episode.
This site it comes with the gasket, I figured all did.
http://a1stoves.com/combuster-class...6-p-631:cf885e931afdd3dfb01ca04f453738ee.html

BK manual
Page 38 has "catalytic combustor replacement" instructions
http://www.blazeking.com/PDF/manuals/en/wood/OM-KE PE E V1.10.pdf

Good luck.
no biggy. i just posted on the other post i had going after i put every thing back together last night and cleaned the cat off real good and got the stove pipe back on nice and tight. i noticed a few clogged cells in the cat as well. which i got everything out good then ran a hot fire and did a nice long burn off and things seem to be working ok right now. but time will tell. so i may hold off on the new one for now. but will see. gasket is coming in next week 15 bucks for the 2 30 inch pieces. shipped from condar. what size is your cat dimension. its crazy that the princess cat is more than yours.

My stove pipe was setting on there crooked and i had try to seal it with furnace cement. which that did not work out that well. and i think it was pulling room air in. quite significantly actually

bogydave said:
Bummer.
You are gaining the maintenance & catalytic experience in a "condensed" episode.
http://a1stoves.com/combuster-class...6-p-631:cf885e931afdd3dfb01ca04f453738ee.html

BK manual

Good luck.
First link,works good..second one not so much..lol.

ecocavalier02 said:
bogydave said:
Bummer.

BK manual

Good luck.
no biggy. i just posted on the other post i had going after i put every thing back together last night and cleaned the cat off real good and got the stove pipe back on nice and tight. i noticed a few clogged cells in the cat as well. which i got everything out good then ran a hot fire and did a nice long burn off and things seem to be working ok right now. but time will tell. so i may hold off on the new one for now. but will see. gasket is coming in next week 15 bucks for the 2 30 inch pieces. shipped from condar. what size is your cat dimension. its crazy that the princess cat is more than yours.
well after watching it now for a few hours the cat has cooled off again. no glow but still warm and the chimney is smoking lightly again. so seems as though when its really hot that its ok then when it cools off down close to the 12 oclock range it starts get a light smoke after a few hours.

Open it up for maybe 5 mins then slam her shut and see if the cat comes alive again .

yea
Us DIY folks learn as we go & sometimes learn the hard way.
I was lucky, the stove store guy was real helpful, & I learned allot about chimneys & draft.
The little details are important.
I've seen some professional installs that looked worse & drafted worse than my initial install. So even some "installers" don't pay attention to detail or know the importance/why/how.
Like I said, I was fortunate to hook up with a stove guy that knew his stuff & was willing to help.
The new stove, to perform at their best, the details are important. The double wall pipe as recommended by BK & other cat stoves is important, good air tight joints are important, & so on.
Once I got the little things corrected, my stove worked much better.
Now it's up to me to operate it properly. Following "best practices" for my stove helps me get better performance.
It ain't an old pot belly cast iron smoke dragon with glowing red stove pipe able to burn anything combustible from the 1940s, there is more & better science engineered into the modern stoves.

HotCoals said:
Open it up for maybe 5 mins then slam her shut and see if the cat comes alive again .
yeah ive done this. after a little bit goes back down again. but like i said it just smokes a little. nothing extreme. just seems like the cat is not as effcient anymore. i think when im burning in mid 2's or above its ok. when the cat is really warm but when i lower it after a little while drops down to 12 or so then it smokes a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.