Bugs Beetles Spiders O My!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhills

Jun 26, 2008
Central Maine
So as I enter into this world of burning wood; Are there any insects that might decide that my house is a better meal?

The first 4 cords fit in the basement....
And the first delivery is beech.
:)

Ed

The most common opinion is that wood should not be stored in great quantities in your house. Some do it successfully, but unless your wood was harvested from the Chernoble area, it is probably home to several of the multi-legged critters.

Most burners only store a day, couple of days, or maybe a weeks worth inside. Is this already seasoned?

Jags said:
The most common opinion is that wood should not be stored in great quantities in your house. Some do it successfully, but unless your wood was harvested from the Chernoble area, it is probably home to several of the multi-legged critters.

Actually, at Chernobyl the critters have even more legs.

On topic- yes, you may bring in lots of critters depending on how the wood was processed and dried, where you are etc. I think that people reading "The Backyard Lumberjack" get the impression that indoor storage is the norm. It's a great book, and very entertaining, but I would not take the indoor wood storage suggestion as gospel.

I like spiders. carpenter ants and wood boring larvae- not so much.

My guy at the Hardware store has suggested diatemasious earth, under around, and on the basement storage as a precautionary measure.

But I guess the safest thing to is too pull the wood in, as dry as possible, before the snow gets too deep.

ed

I do store mine outside and pull a weeks worth at a time in when needed. The only bad thing about outside storage is piles attract mice and toads and mice and toads attract snakes. The other night I was knocking down some weeds around the wood pile with a shovel and out comes a 4 FOOT EGG SUCKIN' BASTAGE and good thing I had a shovel in my hand like Marrie Antoinette "off with your head"! There was a ruckus and Carl ( the rooster ) flipped his lid with all the fast body movement and New York came to the window to see what was going on.. I didn't want New York (it's my nickname for the wife because she used to live in Manhattan) to see the debauchery so I covered it up with the wood tarp. Latter I went back to rid the area and HOLY SCHNICKEYS 10" of the phaqing snakes head and body was high tailing it across the yard, so out comes the shovel again. Damn snakes give me the HEEBEEGEEBEES !!!!!!!!!!! Much rather see a mouse or toad.

Wow....Lee, i know some people don't like snakes, but gezzzz....did ya have to kill it.. :(

Snakes are very benificial. i'm not one to put them up, unless i have gloves on, (cuz they are kinda neat) but i just let them scurry away to where ever they going. try not to kill'em next time.

A nice big old stack of wood will make perfect habitat for mice inside, as well. Pack rats, too. They'll bring in all sorts of stuff to build their nests and rear their young. I s'pose you could keep a couple of snakes in the basement to control this problem. Rick

Drifthopper said:
Wow....Lee, i know some people don't like snakes, but gezzzz....did ya have to kill it.. :(

Snakes are very benificial. i'm not one to put them up, unless i have gloves on, (cuz they are kinda neat) but i just let them scurry away to where ever they going. try not to kill'em next time.

What is your address ,I'll bring you over all the Black snakes, water moccasins, copperheads and timber rattlers you want! I'm not talking about little snakes. I'm talking about 3-6 footers. Then we will see how much you sleep at night knowing they are in your wood pile 30 feet out side your bedroom window. LOL If'n that there snake had'a been over yonder from the house he woulda lived to see anuther day !

As for bug type critters....I wouldn't want my firewood in my house. I debark all my firewood so there are less bug type critters (B.T.C's) than if it had the bark on it but there are some that bore into the wood that will make a run for it once they warm up in your house. Yuck.

As for the snake critters...i've got a lot of snakes out at the woodpile. I've got Garter (gardner? (sp?)) snakes, brown snakes, fox snakes, milk snakes...all of which are the non-bitey type. I just leave them be. I have rarely come across some little rattle snake pups...those...those have an accident. I don't care who was there first...I pay the property taxes :coolgrin:

I have an outside door next to my first floor fireplace, and inside as part of the brickwork, a large wood storage bin. I don't use it...but I do keep about two days worth of wood on my front porch, right next to a wall and under the roof. May not make sense...I'd not store any in the basement or garage.

We have some good size Garter snakes in and around the house/garden and consider them friends. The largest I've seen is about 4' long, maybe a little less, look big to my eye.

Jags said:
I'm takin' Lee's side on this one. GET'em good for me too!

I`ll second that. damn things make me break out in a cold sweat.

sonnyinbc said:
Jags said:
I'm takin' Lee's side on this one. GET'em good for me too!

I`ll second that. damn things make me break out in a cold sweat.

Anything that doesn't have arms, legs, fins or wings shouldn't be able to move that fast. :vampire:

There are too many nasties around here to not strike first and ask questions later. I can deal with snappin turtles, rats, mud devils,bull head,and creek leaches but NOT snakes. You can have 'em !

"Snakes...I hate snakes!" - Indiana Jones

(I don't like 'em any better than he, or Lee.) Rick

fossil said:

Snakes eat voles and mice, no? I'll take the snakes, thanks. They don't eat my vegetables, particularly the potatoes, but the voles do. Give 'em a wide berth and let 'em chow down.

gyrfalcon said:
fossil said:

Snakes eat voles and mice, no? I'll take the snakes, thanks. They don't eat my vegetables, particularly the potatoes, but the voles do. Give 'em a wide berth and let 'em chow down.

We are over run with chicken hawks and eagles here. Not a mouse, squirl, rat ,cat, or small furball dare venture into the open or a garden. Lately I have been seeing eagles feeding on gosling Canadian Geese which also does not hurt my feelings as they are just a filthy winged rat.

There are always tons of spiders around here I have nothing to compare to.
Island life, even people who don't burn have them, spraying outside the house helps.
They keep the skeeters away anyway, I don't mind much.

Speaking of critters of all kinds and storing wood in the house.......so today i'm out stacking wood and I keep seeing this grey bird with a black head. He sits there and watches me and takes off. I mean he's like 3 to 5 feet away and doesn't seem scared. Anyhow, i'm peeling the bark off and stacking the wood and notice little grub looking critters under the bark and I thought of this post. Anyhow, I sat down for a drink of water and watched the bird....he's following me around eating those now exposed grubs. Now, I dunno what those grubs will turn into in your basement.....but it's prolly not good. They are probably some Asian killer bee infants or sumthin'.

sounds like it might have been a catbird.

Showed the daughter (2) a snake the other day under the tarp. She wanted to touch it, told her they are good but you just need to look that them.
Snakes are good in my area.

BeGreen said:
sounds like it might have been a catbird.

Just searched on the interweb and you are right!. He sure is diggin' those juicy littly grub jobbers.

I will trade you all my bugs for your snakes???? If its a deal PM me and I will give you my address.......

gyrfalcon said:
fossil said:

Oh, raptor, most wholeheartedly agreed. I don't go out and hunt them down just to kill them. I only ever remember killing two snakes, and one was inadvertent but fortuitous. I know they play an important role...they just kinda give me the creeps. I observe them and mostly just leave them be to do their thing. The hawks, owls, and other raptors also participate to keep things in balance. I'm content to just watch in wonder at the poetry of nature. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.