1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

bugs on new wood shed

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by ecrane99, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecrane99

ecrane99 New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Hi All,
    I just build a wood shed using fresh cut logs. Can I spray it with something to keep bugs and ants off it? It seems the ants are already trying to take it over. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    Someone awhile back said he sprays his wood with bleach to keep the bugs off. That might work
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Kill the bugs (what ever method you like) and then spray with mineral oil or some other sealant. You will want to make sure that the logs don't start to deteriorate in any way. Thats like ringing a dinner bell to all the crawly things.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    What kind of logs?

In any event- I would suggest the following- wash with TSP (available at HomeDepot) as per instructions. Then spray with a boron based preservative (use a garden sprayer). Then seal with any sealant (not just a stain- I like Sikens).

The TSP stuff washes out oils etc that prevent good preservative penetration and sealing.
    The boron stuff works wonders to prevent rot and stop insects.
    The sealant stops moisture and other issues.

I have a log home, so I've had to look into this stuff a bit. No issues since treating with the boron.
  5. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    You say you built it using fresh cut logs? I think you would need to let them dry out for a while, (year or 2) before you try sealing them or you'll seal moisture in and they might rot from the inside. Ants are everywhere. I wouldn't be concerned unless you see evidence they are actually tunneling into your wood. Then you'll need to resort to an insecticede specifically labled for ants. Follow manufactures instructions closely, especially concerning your own safety. Most insecticides today are not lethal to mammels but they are poisons and should be handled with care.
  6. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Their after sugar in the fresh cut wood. Once it dries they should go away.
  7. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Wash in TSP, treat with boron, seal when dry. You don't even have to wait THAT long to seal.

If you don't treat at all- they will always be attractive to critters. L:eek:ok at how many houses get eaten by carpenter ants or termites- they aren't "fresh" cut.
  8. ecrane99

ecrane99 New Member

Loc:
    CT
    The wood is yellow birch. And I built it with the bark left on becuase I couldn't find an easy way to strip it off. I am happy with how it turned out. I used the plans from this site : http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/woodshed.htm

All i need to do now is protect it.

Thanks for all your valuable comments and suggestions.
  9. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    You are asking for trouble in leaving the bark on. Insects yes, but mold/fungus/rot definitely yes.
  10. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Make sure your roof is tight so that the logs CAN dry... key thing with a woodshed is to make sure that the roof is good enough to keep the rain out of the interior so that the wood stays dry - if that happens the bugs are mostly going to either go away, or just pass through. If there is moisture available, they are far more likely to take up residence.

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.