bugs on new wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrane99

May 14, 2008
CT
Hi All,
I just build a wood shed using fresh cut logs. Can I spray it with something to keep bugs and ants off it? It seems the ants are already trying to take it over. Thanks

Kill the bugs (what ever method you like) and then spray with mineral oil or some other sealant. You will want to make sure that the logs don't start to deteriorate in any way. Thats like ringing a dinner bell to all the crawly things.

What kind of logs?

In any event- I would suggest the following- wash with TSP (available at HomeDepot) as per instructions. Then spray with a boron based preservative (use a garden sprayer). Then seal with any sealant (not just a stain- I like Sikens).

The TSP stuff washes out oils etc that prevent good preservative penetration and sealing.
The boron stuff works wonders to prevent rot and stop insects.
The sealant stops moisture and other issues.

I have a log home, so I've had to look into this stuff a bit. No issues since treating with the boron.

You say you built it using fresh cut logs? I think you would need to let them dry out for a while, (year or 2) before you try sealing them or you'll seal moisture in and they might rot from the inside. Ants are everywhere. I wouldn't be concerned unless you see evidence they are actually tunneling into your wood. Then you'll need to resort to an insecticede specifically labled for ants. Follow manufactures instructions closely, especially concerning your own safety. Most insecticides today are not lethal to mammels but they are poisons and should be handled with care.

Wash in TSP, treat with boron, seal when dry. You don't even have to wait THAT long to seal.

If you don't treat at all- they will always be attractive to critters. L:eek:ok at how many houses get eaten by carpenter ants or termites- they aren't "fresh" cut.

You are asking for trouble in leaving the bark on. Insects yes, but mold/fungus/rot definitely yes.

Make sure your roof is tight so that the logs CAN dry... key thing with a woodshed is to make sure that the roof is good enough to keep the rain out of the interior so that the wood stays dry - if that happens the bugs are mostly going to either go away, or just pass through. If there is moisture available, they are far more likely to take up residence.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.