bugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
now this is way off anything to do with the hearth. i thought i was the only one that had these and found out when i have been in the last 6 customers houses that they have them too. they are the little flys. tiny little buggers. i think people call them fruit flys. i have been checking everything that is coming into this house and find nothing. no eggs. no bugs. i'm killing by hand about 20 a day. i think i've done 20 a day since last friday and still keep finding them. does anyone have a way to get rid of these flys? it seems like a never ending job. these thing came in this summer thru the screens. they are that small. when they are flying under a light, they seem to be brown in color.

Frank, I"m not positive but I believe wherever you find fruit flies there's rotting vegetation nearby. We notice them if our compost container sits too long in our kitchen. We also find them at work if someone leaves a banana peel or apple core in a trash can for a few days.

They don't live long so these aren't the same ones you let in this summer.

These guys seem to come from nowhere and I think were the basis for those that supported "spontaneous generation" as to one way that life can start.

If they are fruit flies you should be able to catch quite a few of them with the vinegar or wine in a bottle with a funnel on top.
If they are from an orchard fruit on the ground nearby you might have to just wait it out ....

If they are fungus gnats then the bottle trick doesn't work so well and you might have better luck with sticky traps for fungus gnats. I had a population of them last year in some potted plants . The bottle trick and sticky tapes near the pots caught some of them and I repotted some of the plants and threw out the soil and threw out some of the plants.

Fruit flies will hatch out of any fruit or vegetable left out on the counter. We would get them in our fruit basket on the counter until we put the fruit in a bag and the problem went away. Fruit flies eat anything organic, food left on plates, food in the trash, the nasty crap that collects on the underside of the garbage disposer splash guard. Fruit flies tend to be red in color.

I know of one lady that had a gnat problem in the middle of winter, and it was from a bag of potting soil left open in her house. There is a probably a source where they are coming from it just needs to be located. The vinegar in the cup with the paper cone works great. Done it a few times myself.

i have not located the source. they are all over the house but are mostly in the kitchen and bathroom. i have killed quite a lot of them but they just keep on coming. the trash has a tight sealing top and as of today the only fruit that is not in the fridge is the banana's and they went into a plastic air tight container. these little things are unbelievable. i killed 6 in the bathroom and 15 in the kitchen today alone.
if i didn't have two kids and a cat i would raid bomb this house. if it gets worse i might have to do it. the funny thing is that down here in the office and tv room in the basement (finished rooms) no flys. and the door to the upstairs is always open

frank

take a bowl and put approx. 3oz. of cider vinegar in it. Cover the bowl with cellophane. Take a knife and poke about 6 to 8 holes in the top. Place this bowl in the area of the problem. the flies will be attracted to the bowl and will crawl through the slits to get at the vinegar where they will be trapped. Make up several of these bowl and after time your problem will be taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.