1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

bugs!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by nrcrash, Sep 19, 2012.

1. nrcrash

nrcrash Member

Loc:
    MA
    I stacked my wood on pallets which are on top of 4x6pt to keep it off the ground. Checked on it yesterday and I have termites in the bottom pieces of the stack along with tons of ants. Should I be expecting this? Should I place a tarp between the ground and the 4x6?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

First, are the 4 x 6's treated lumber? If you have termites in your woodstack, you may also want to have your home inspected for them. Those buggers are destructive. Is your area prone to termite infestation? If so, you may want to consider pouring a cement pad and using pressure treated wood to keep your stack elevated. Termites live in the ground and need a path to get to the wood they are destroying. They will not get into pressure treated wood. You will want to get this taken care of as soon as you can, before it turns into a major problem. As for the ants, they are attracted to wet wood. Is there alot of moisture present in your woodstack? Is there rotten or punky wood in the stack?
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. nrcrash

nrcrash Member

Loc:
    MA
    the 4x6's are treated and the wood oak which is still wet from being cut and stacked in the spring.
    I have the stack a couple hundred feet from my home to keep from attracting the bugs.
    Should I take the stacks apart and restack them on a barrier?
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

What part of the country are you in (didn't see a location in your profile)? If you are in a moderate climate zone, I would definitely do something. That's just my opinion. Get the infested wood out of your area, put down a treatment and some rubber roofing or other temporary barrier, re-stack the wood and then monitor the wood for activity. If it continues, I would consider a permanent solution, like a pad or a raised shed or something.
  5. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    The termites might not eat the PT but they will build mud tunnels over the top of it.
    If the stack is wet they won't have to return to the ground.

Before restacking it, I'd get some ground treatment soultion, Ive found the Bayer advanced Carpenter ant/termite killer works well mix in 5gal bucket as prescribed and pour around the pile.
    If your in a cold enough climate they'll leave and return to the ground and the barrier treatment will keep them from returning.

There are better chemicals that will kill the colony(Termidor) and are relatively comparative in price.
  6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Would a plastic ground cover help?
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    +1
    Bugs eating my hard work would mean "war".
    Gravel &/or some landscape cloth under the treated wood may help too.
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Yes, and the landscape cloth would allow drainage.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I doubt it.