Build a Bridge and Get Over It

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
...so I can get my firewood across the river at my sister's house! :)

I cut some ash and apple blow downs from the past winter a few weeks ago. My brother in law called and said the Little Pudding River is low enough to build the bridge, so I can get my wood. So we built the bridge tonight after work. It's easy, the beams stay in place all year. You build the bridge by putting the planks down, and the two outer planks on either side bolt down. That's it!

We got across the river, and low and behold, three more large 40' ash branches came down in the past month, since cutting up the other blow downs. They were hiding. My brother in law wanted them cut tonight, because he already hired a teen to come put all the branches into burn piles tomorrow. I said, "tonight"? !! He said, "yep". So, I ran the 7 miles home, grabbed my saw, and came back, and commenced to cutting. It took about 1.5 hours to cut up the three large ash branches, and numerous small branches and sticks here and there from the last good wind blow. The firewood from the three blow downs amounted to roughly 1/4 cord give or take.

There are two before, two during, and one after pic of the ash cut tonight.

I stacked the firewood into a pile, and I'll gather it later. I still have about a cord to split at my stacks on another higher portion of his property, where I store my firewood, before I can get all the wood in the pasture. DSCN2686.JPGDSCN2688.JPGDSCN2678.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2680.JPG
    DSCN2680.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN2689.JPG
    DSCN2689.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2690.JPG
    DSCN2690.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN2692.JPG
    DSCN2692.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: zap and ScotO
Here are the other pics of my firewood I cut a few weeks ago on my sister's property. The first and second pics are actually on this side of the river, but we were waiting on the pasture mud to dry up before heading down the hill in the truck, because it's a doozy of a hill to go back up, and I've been stuck down there before. <> The first two pics are other piles of ash, and the third pic is the apple.

All together in the four piles, I bet I have 1.5 cords of ash and apple firewood cut, ready to pick up/split/and stack.

Attachments

• DSCN2674.JPG
    DSCN2674.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN2675.JPG
    DSCN2675.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN2677.JPG
    DSCN2677.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 91
Here's a pic from down in the pasture, looking back up the hill I have to drive up to get out to the driveway. See how steep that is, and when its muddy, you are not getting out, even with four wheel drive.

DSCN2687.JPG

Lastly, I had four pallets I picked up, and took them to my stacks. I get over to my stacks to unload the pallets, and notice my last criss cross end stack fell again. That's twice this week it fell. :p I split an 8 foot row on Monday, and it fell after the last piece I stacked, and it fell again today. That's the first/second time I have lost an end stack in years, and I lost it twice in three days, I must be getting lame. Enjoy the pics and post.

DSCN2694.JPG

Dumb question . . . how high does the water get in the Spring and how fast does it flow . . . and are you planning on removing the bridge or leaving it there? I only ask since it looks like the bridge is pretty close to the water. Here, in the Spring, with the snow melt, a bridge built like this would probably be washed away.

Let me get this straight: you built a bridge, ran 14 miles and then cut logs for an 1.5 hours? What the fork do you eat, and where can I get some? ;)

Dunno exactly why I'm reminded of this, but during the Vietnam war, some of the folks we were fighting grew weary of the effectiveness of our continual aerial surveillance and resulting repeated destruction of river bridges along their supply routes...so they began building bridges such that the road surface was a foot or so beneath the normal river level. Their troops and vehicles could still easily cross, but to our aerial photos, the bridges were invisible...just as if they'd never been rebuilt after the last bombing. Clever. Rick

A bridge to "Somewhere"
Nice pictures

Reactions: ScotO
looking good OB. Sopunds like you'll have plenty of wood for the upcoming winter and for winters-to-come from that property.

Dumb question . . . how high does the water get in the Spring and how fast does it flow . . . and are you planning on removing the bridge or leaving it there? I only ask since it looks like the bridge is pretty close to the water. Here, in the Spring, with the snow melt, a bridge built like this would probably be washed away.

The water gets 4 or 5 feet higher, but then it spills into the pasture making a large pond. The flow is always very slow. Yes, the planks are there only from now until September or thereabouts. Then they get pulled, and stored until next late spring or early summer.

Let me get this straight: you built a bridge, ran 14 miles and then cut logs for an 1.5 hours? What the fork do you eat, and where can I get some? ;)

Yes, my foot pushed nicely on the gas peddle. I was pooped after the 14 mile round trip. ;lol The truck ran just fine with the $4.00/gallon gas. At that price it better. :rolleyes:

fossil, how's the weather over in Bend? Yesterday it was low 80's here, and today, I think we are lucky to get to 60::Fwith the storm that moved in. :p

bogydave, I heard it was pushing close to 80::F in Soldotna yesterday or today. I can't wait, I'll be up there in a month fishing.

Scotty Overkill, yes, this property has put me in the wood for years, thanks to my sister and her husband, who do not burn wood. If you look on the hill pic, you can see some stumps from some Douglas Fir trees that died, we cut up a decade or so ago. I remember one tree lasted me the whole winter, it was huge too. I have one more future tree to work on, and its a doozy. It's about a 36" diameter Douglas Fir tree, about 140' tall, still standing live as we speak. My brother in law wants it down this summer (professional faller on this one), but I'm trying to talk him into waiting another year. The roots are destroying his driveway to his shop, because its so close. I'm guessing another 3 cords. :eek: I'm already 3 years ahead, and I don't want to be 4 years ahead. 3 years ahead is plenty. I was going to split more tonight, but the rain changed my mind. It's a good thing, I can rest, I'm sore.

...fossil, how's the weather over in Bend? Yesterday it was low 80's here, and today, I think we are lucky to get to 60::Fwith the storm that moved in. :p...

Pretty much the same here...lost ~20°F daytime high overnight. Today actually turned out a bit nicer than I'd expected..some rain, but not a lot, some sunshine mixed in. Sun's out right now and it's comfortable outside. I'll take it. :) Rick

Did you get the neccasary permits and inspections?? I would not give the address of said bridge lest one desires a visit from the DEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.