build a small trailer for garden tractor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firefighterjake said:
I agree . . . partly due to the mud and dirt . . . partly because I figure it's a little less messy when I buck the wood up in the woods and haul it out . . . figure I'll have to buck up the wood sooner or later . . . so I just do it in the woods and haul out with the trailer . . . it's not the only way to get the wood out, and it may not be the best way for everyone . . . but it's my way and it works for me.
I agree with leaving the mess in the woods. I've been scrounging out of some clear-cuts and being a newbie I noticed that after I had a log or top loaded up that there was a lot of chips on the ground. The pile of cemetery red oak logs that I scored a couple of weeks ago was behind the house and I didn't want a thick layer of chips in the grass so I spread a tarp out around the pile as I cut...placing the tarp on my side of the logs so the chips would get thrown on it. As I worked around the log I would empty the tarp into my trailer. There's a pretty good pile of chips that I need to dump. I'll get a picture of the pile this evening...a good many chips ended up on the ground but putting the tarp down kept the bulk off the ground. The pile is from cutting up between 1.25 and 1.50 cords.

I have dragged logs at the clear-cut but only far enough to where I could buck them close to the trailer (30' or so).

Ed

I'm not worried about wood chips, I'll still be out in an unfarmed field bucking near the truck, I just cant get my truck any closer to the woods than the middle of that field. One less time handling rounds too. I do plan on actually taking some logs home with me too, guess thats the other reason I want to try the skidder approach. I'd like to have a mini mill setup in the future, but that might be a few years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.