build hearth or install wall thimble outside pipe first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snosurfa7

Mar 25, 2009
VA
Planning on installing a wood stove in the corner of my living room. What should be built or installed first (assuming knowledge of stove choice and appropriate clearances)? This will be a corner install with the stove pipe going out the side of the wall and not up thru the ceiling.

1. Wall thimble and outside pipe or
2. Outlining hole in wall where wall thimble will go and building hearth first?
3. Doesn't matter?

Thanks

I would mark where the thimble will go first at least.. Get your stud finder and find the studs.. And mark your opening, once you know thimble can go where you want it than doesn't really matter.. Its cold so build hearth and than install thimble and chimney.. That's how I did mine

But if you hav a window of nice weather.. Install thimble and chimney

Reactions: Fred Wright
Thanks, appreciate the reply.

If I install the outside chimney and wall thimble first my only concern is building the hearth and then placing the stove on the hearth, connecting the pipe from the stove to the thimble - and then realizing I'm short or over an inch or two for the thimble connection.

I know they make the "sliding" style stove pipe to adjust for height variances but I believe it's only single wall and I'm looking to do double wall inside.

I guess exact measurements are the only way to go although somewhat difficult unless I actually have the stove and pipe with me before I start the hearth build.

Yup, They make the dvl telescopic pipe in a few diff possible lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.