build it myself processor notes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drmiller100

Feb 24, 2007
summer came and went. i'm a landscaper in a resort town, so summers are short and profitable.

fall is here. been working on the project for the past week. Learned lots of invaluable lessons (read "broke a lot of chit and paid guys to fix it without any profit")

do not use a cutting edge off of a road grader as any part of a log splitter. It looks tough, it is indeed really hard, but about 10 cords into working, the stupid thing shatters. Took 3 guys a day to replace the main splitting edge out to a piece of mild steel plate.

the splitter works. the conveyor works. Getting the splitter to dump into the conveyor is not trivial.
The table works. the saw works. getting the table to feed the saw is not trivial.
The saw works. the splitter works. getting the saw to dump rounds into the splitter is beyond us so far.

good news. splitter has an 8 second cycle time. it is a 4 way splitter. with 10 to 14 inch lodgepole, 3 guys average something north of 2 cords an hour, sustained. The thing that stops us is 2 cords of rounds takes up a big enough pile by the end fo the hour you have to walk too far to get the next one.

the table and saw allows one guy to cut faster then 3 guys can split.
we can't get a rhythm to combine it to all one operation.

YET.

"we gotta have a plan."
"this is the plan, i'm telling you."
"when were you going to tell me ."
"I'm telling you right now, this is the plan."
"sounds like a plan to me."
"tell me you didn't just make that up, just now."
"well, its kind of evolving as we go along."
"ah, I knew you just made it up."
"come on, its a plan , sort of. now we dont have time for this chit."
"lets go."

Status