Build your own panel radiator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Rohr

Minister of Fire
Jan 9, 2008
SW Missouri
I built this as a Christmas gift for me wife. It's pieces from an old Revere copper solar collector absorber built in Rome, NY in the 70's.

Sandwiched in the middle is some fin tube to get some convection currents going. Within a minute of firing it up the plate was hot.

Flow is thru the absorber plate tubes but it could also be heated by feeding the fin tube sandwiched in the middle.

Really any metal could be a radiator, copper, galvanized, aluminum, stainless. Just visit the local scrap yards.

Most of this was soldered since it's copper, the fin tube and "trim" pieces are JB welded.

I've also build a few concrete radiators, wrap a wad of tube and cast whatever shape you like around it.

The VW micro bus theme taking me back to Woodstock days.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.57.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.57.12 PM.png
    528.2 KB · Views: 545
Hey... that there is neat! Nice job

Is that a bed frame made from 1.25" copper pipe over there on the right, Bob?

Is that a bed frame made from 1.25" copper pipe over there on the right, Bob?

Yep, a heated bed frame, concrete dog and homemade towel bar. Maybe inspire some clever heat emitters projects from the group.

I'm not sure where the chair radiator pic came from? Wonder what the price tag is!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.30.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.30.11 AM.png
    509.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.31.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.31.53 AM.png
    410.8 KB · Views: 390
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.33.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.33.51 AM.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 381
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.34.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.34.40 AM.png
    43 KB · Views: 374
Reactions: jeffesonm
Man, talk about a hot seat! And the heated bed frame is saweeeeet! Gives a whole new meaning to the term "water bed."

You're copper rich;lol

Awesome!

Seriously, The panel rad in my girls' room could have been a princess or unicorn silhouette, the one in my son's room could have been a rocket ship or space shuttle.

I'm curious if you have an estimate on the btus it will deliver.

Hope the bed or chair don't spring a leak while on use. That could hurt !

and a good read on top of the cool hydronic art. Love it.

karl

Where are the Fin Tubes in the VW....? It looks flat from the image, How much heat radiates through the flate plate? Is it just transferred through the 1/2" pipe frame? I had a 1971, white with Bull horns tied to the top of the front spare!

Where are the Fin Tubes in the VW....? It looks flat from the image, How much heat radiates through the flate plate? Is it just transferred through the 1/2" pipe frame? I had a 1971, white with Bull horns tied to the top of the front spare!

Two identical copper plates with the fin tube sandwiched in the middle, it's about 2" wide.

It's amazing how quickly copper spreads the heat when the fluid hits. No wonder my moms old Revere cookware works swell :)

Status
Not open for further replies.