Building a Alcove hearth for a Summit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Sorry to keep starting threads but you guys always do a great job of answering questions. I am in the process of building a Alcove type hearth and just wanted to confirm my dimensions. I am going with 60" wide by 48" deep (5' x 4') material will be 1/2 ply and 1/2 hardy board covered with ceramic tile. Materials are good as someone already mention the Summit needs only ember protection. I got my reference from this link, http://www.northweststoves.ca/pdf/pac-wood/b-pacific-summit.pdf

SKIN052 said:
Sorry to keep starting threads but you guys always do a great job of answering questions. I am in the process of building a Alcove type hearth and just wanted to confirm my dimensions. I am going with 60" wide by 48" deep (5' x 4') material will be 1/2 ply and 1/2 hardy board covered with ceramic tile. Materials are good as someone already mention the Summit needs only ember protection. I got my reference from this link, http://www.northweststoves.ca/pdf/pac-wood/b-pacific-summit.pdf

You might try to find a copy of the owners manual if you don't have it already.. I have found the brocure stuff doesn't go into detail near as much as you might think, and there is nothing about an alcove install on that page you have linked.

The 60x48 is the size of the alcove, or the size of the hearth you are building?

I hope SKIN is referring to alcove sizing, and not hearth sizing. The Summit requires 9" minimum rear clearance in an alcove installation: add the 25" depth of the Summit, and the front of the stove will end up 34" from the backwall. Provide the 16" hearth extension required for US installations, and the front edge of the hearth will need to be 50" from the backwall (52" if you're in Canada or if Elk is your inspector).

thechimneysweep said:
I hope SKIN is referring to alcove sizing, and not hearth sizing. The Summit requires 9" minimum rear clearance in an alcove installation: add the 25" depth of the Summit, and the front of the stove will end up 34" from the backwall. Provide the 16" hearth extension required for US installations, and the front edge of the hearth will need to be 50" from the backwall (52" if you're in Canada or if Elk is your inspector).

I had planned on making the hearth 5' wide and 4' deep but apparently I need to rethink this. Trying to make easy use of 4 x 8 sheets of hardy board. Suggestions? I will have a wall to the right of the stove where I am putting a bathroom. to the left I planned on building a half wall, but don't have too, just thought it would look good. More reserch needed I my part I guess. what about 4' wide and 5' deep? Forget the half wall on the left?

I think Durock cement board comes in 5' x 3' sheets. That might provide better yield for the hearth dimensions.

BeGreen said:
I think Durock cement board comes in 5' x 3' sheets. That might provide better yield for the hearth dimensions.
Already picked up a 4x8 sheet, it's not going back, lol, weighs a ton. I guess my confusion is the minimum hearth size when in a alcove is confusing me. I like to go a little bigger than minimum, just for piece of mind.

SKIN052 said:
thechimneysweep said:

I had planned on making the hearth 5' wide and 4' deep but apparently I need to rethink this. Trying to make easy use of 4 x 8 sheets of hardy board. Suggestions? I will have a wall to the right of the stove where I am putting a bathroom. to the left I planned on building a half wall, but don't have too, just thought it would look good. More reserch needed I my part I guess. what about 4' wide and 5' deep? Forget the half wall on the left?

How wide is the stove? what is the hearth requirement to the sides? You may only need 8" of hearth, BUT 16" clearance to combustibles (CtC).. In an alcove you have that on both sides. And you may be able to reduce the sides CtC with NFPA 211 approved shielding, or not, it's in the owners manual.

unfortuneataly there is no hard and fast rule, exactly. Your local codes can effect the install, as can the requirements for THAT stove, they are all different. That's why I mentioned the actual owners manual. it will give you the manufacturers requirements, which may be all you need to meet. Where I live, no inspection, or permit was/is needed, but, (thankfully) we don't all live here. Are you sure you are doing an "alcove" install? You need to take into account the side clearances to combustibles regardless. If you are going to build something that "closes in" the area around the stove.

First figure out exactly how much room you need CtC in all directions, and don't forget your stove pipe has it's own requirements. then figure out how you want the stove to sit acording to whats need to get your CtC covered, Then figure your Minimum hearth size that will fit there, and adjust larger as needed for astetics or material frugality.

EDIT: after revueing the linked page I do see that they have a alcove represented, sorry. remember the ember protection does not need to fill the whole alcove, as long as it's at least the minimum size called for, and goes at least as far as required.

The minimum allowed alcove width is 55-1/2", wall to wall. The maximum allowed depth is 48" (front surface of sidewalls to backwall).

The minimum hearth (floor protection) depth for a Summit in an alcove is 50". This means your floor protection must extend at least 2" beyond the front of your alcove walls. Floor protection width is another matter: the minimum hearth width is 36". In other words, your floor protection doesn't have to extend all the way to the alcove walls. Most people cover the entire alcove area for looks, but the listing allows you to leave 9-3/4" of the original flooring showing between the side edges of the hearth and the alcove walls.

All right, I figured a way around this, I am skipping the Alcove idea. The wife did not like the idea anyway, so now it looks like I am actually listening to her when in reality I am listening to random people on the internet that I have never met. LOL. I will have a wall to the right of the stove and the hearth pad (4' deep and 5' wide) will butt up against the wall. I will tile the wall behind the stove and the wall to the right of the stove to achieve the look I am after. Thanks guys, I am happy I did not cut that Hardy board yet!

If you have the room, do yourself a favor and consider extending the hearth 20" or 24" put from the front of the stove. More ember protection, and you can lay the splits on the hearth when preparing to load the stove and contain the mess on the hearth. I did this and I merely sweep the hearth with a small hand broom after loading is done. Of course to each their own, I am glad I went out as far as I did. Cleaning carpet is much suckier than sweeping off the hearth for me.
I have to agree with you O/L, and before reading that post, I was going to suggest nixing the left alcove wall. In the end, it will give the heat more air to move around more freely.

Edit: One more thing to think about. You may also want to consider raising the hearth or the portion under the stove to make loading easier with less bending over, or working on your knees while loading.
My insert is slightly raised, the old fireplace firebox was already there, so I didn't have a choice. Wish it was higher.
When I install the Englander in the office, I may raisw it a foot or two or whatever I can can away with so I can load standing up LOL.
When ya have a crappy back, every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.