Building a hearth on concrete and block wall. basement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi guys, with the new Ideal Steel coming this fall I decided it is time to do the basement right. I have painted block walls with a cement floor. This is underground. I plan on insulating and building a hearth for the Ideal Steel. I'm not looking for all of the answers, I just need a basic idea of what the proper way to do this is. Here are my questions. .

1. What material will radiate the heat from the stove safely best?

2. Should I insulate behind the hearth?

3. Do I need to get a special flue connector?

4. Any thoughts on best way to insulate the block walls?

There is no need for a special hearth on a cement floor. Kudos for addressing the basement insulation issue. That will definitely pay off in reduced wood consumption. Ask about insulating the walls in the DIY forum here. There have been several good threads on this topic. A good website for info on this topic is http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-insulate-basement-wall and here's a video: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20503345,00.html - One tip, if you want to glue foam panels be sure to use a construction adhesive meant for this purpose. And get a large caulking gun designed for the big tubes. You will go through a case of caulk or more.

you have plenty of options, First and foremost without seeing pics I can of assume, but if your going to land a stove down there your are in a non combustible area, with basement installs the first question I have is do you get water down there? if you do, please consider building a hearth using cement blocks to keep the stove off the ground, using blocks makes the job real easy, plus you can veneer or tile the top to make it look real nice, the back wall closest to the stove, can be veneered also, the stove pile, again assuming that your going to go outside and straight up should be double walled with minimal elbows 90 deg bends, elbows restrict flow there for decrease draft. The wall thimble should be installed following manufactures spec's, you can seal around the thimble using roxal insulation, or other non combustible insulation, now were the work really starts... I would highly recommend finishing the rest of the walls in the basement using blue 2x4 construction, vapor barrier, and insulation, concrete doesn't hold heat, it absorbs heat and transfers it to another cold area, ie dirt behind the wall. You can seriously lose upwards of 30% heat produced from your stove to the non insulated concrete wall, no fun, in other words take 30% of your total hard worked / earned wood pile and give it to the neighbor because your wasting anyway..lol. But seriously insulation is a must. Other things to consider is what you natural draft is like, do you have large appliances in the basement that will rob your draft ie: dryer, forced hot air system, strong bathroom vent fan, some house have a radon vent, very tight house? You may want to consider an OAK (outside air connection) No moving to the most important part : the chimney, are you going to use an existing chimney or install a stainless triple wall insulated pipe? If you using a prefabbed triple wall pipe just make sure that you run it to the right height, Sometimes running a minimum height will give you a decreased draft and your stove will not function the way its suppose to, if you using an existing masonry chimney, please have it inspected, even with a good inspection install a stainless insulated liner, it will eliminate heart ache in the future and make cleanings a breeze. I wouldn't really worry about going crazy insulation behind the hearth, you can install 2x4 steel studs and roxel or non combustible insulate between the studs then hang cement board over it. Stone veneer it or brick it. That's just my two cents, hope that helps you and good luck, sounds like a fun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.