Building a hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb5004

Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
I'm new to the wood burning game, so forgive my ignorance. I just bought a manufactured home -- 2200 sq. ft., L-shaped with at least three distinct heating zones. I want to put a free-standing wood stove in the main portion of the house for asthetic reasons and to supplement the propane furnace. I love burning wood, but I don't want to spend more than $3000 and I don't want to completely rely on firewood for heat. Hence the wood stove instead of a furnace or boiler.

I have an existing corner fireplace that I'm ripping out because it doesn't do anything, probably only creating a draft effect that ends up costing me money.

I want to rip out the corner fireplace and build something almost exactly like this:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/tx-buck-91-decor-jpg.7350/

Do I need to do anything for fireproofing besides the stone? I'm probably going to hang concrete board behind the back stone walls, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to do.

I typically will frame, cover with plywood, then veneer everything with concrete board, then veneer stone.....

The hearth design depends on the stove that is going on it. If the stove requires ember protection only then cement board and tile or stone are fine. But if it requires a lot of insulation like some stoves require then one must build up that insulation value before topping it off with the final cement board and tile. The walls can be cement board and stone as long as the clearances are honored. The clearance will be measured to the drywall or studs behind the cement board.

The hearth design depends on the stove that is going on it.

If you know what stove you want, check the install manual. That is where I would start. If you have a range of stoves you are interested in, use the strictest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.