Building a masonry stove - questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nome

Sep 3, 2009
UK
Hey all, I'm brand new here and very glad I found you!

I'd dearly love to build a woodburning masonry stove to heat my planned new-build home. I've seen a couple of basic designs and read lots of fairly basic information, but I have questions, and I hope you can help me.

Ready?

1) I'd like to use the stove for cooking too. I've seen stoves with ovens, but is it possible to also incorporate a hob/hotplate for frying pans etc.? Anyone got any designs for this?

2) Is there any harm in covering the masonry stove with adobe (mainly for aesthetic purposes, but I presume the adobe would also add further thermal mass)?

3) Can I add a back boiler too? Will the boiler drain too much heat from the stove and make cooking difficult? Can I build the boiler itself into the masonry unit (with pressure valve exposed), or does it have to be separate?

I look forward to your advice. Thanks very much.

Unfortunately, there is very little info on this site regarding masonry heaters. I have a few links as it's an interesting subject. I have seen many with several different exteriors, including adobe. As long as it is non-combustible, and preferably some kind of masonry, it should be usable.. I have seen designs with both bake ovens and stove tops. As far a s a"boiler", that depends. I have seen masonry heaters with a water jacket capable of producing Domestic Hot Water, but if you are talking about an actual boiler furnace system that can be used to make hot water to run baseboard heaters or radiators, that may be a different story. I did see one engineer who makes designs like this, but I don't currently have a link.

This site has some very interesting setups including one with a stove top, bake oven, heated bench, and water jacket.

Http://www.mainewoodheat.com

The official masonry heaters association website:

http://mha-net.org

There is a thread kicking around on this site with a link to the projects done by the engineer who makes masonry heaters for commercial buildings including full scale hot water boilers. You *may* be able to find it using the search, but it will be difficult.

Thanks Karri0n. I've seen those sites and a few others. Would really love to do this myself but if I can't find a suitable design I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a pro, for safety's sake.
:down:

hi ive built 2 masonry stoves what you are asking is possible stoves.ru has a site full of plans. ovens are built regularly, water heating is a grey area some people say yes they are possible others say not ,check out mha.net ezine for indepth discussions on water heating my view is that they are ok for a back ground heating ,but not for main if you need any more info please ask

red

Status
Not open for further replies.