Building a new house, chimney or pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, will the ss liner make it crazy expensive? and if I do the ss liner, will it prevent all that other stuff from happening?
Yes it will add cost but if you are going to be using it for a stove that will be a major heat source you will end up lining it sooner rather than later anyway. And yes it will prevent all of that. When you insulate the liner you need no clearance to combustibles between the chimney and house. And all of the other issues are concerning the clay liners which you will not have.

Yes it will add cost but if you are going to be using it for a stove that will be a major heat source you will end up lining it sooner rather than later anyway. And yes it will prevent all of that. When you insulate the liner you need no clearance to combustibles between the chimney and house. And all of the other issues are concerning the clay liners which you will not have.
So, in a nutshell, it adds safety and also durability by having the steel liner, correct? Just making sure I have it all right so I can answer the questions from builder. He is not keen on the steel liner or steel chimney idea. He finds it unnecessary

He is not keen on the steel liner or steel chimney idea. He finds it unnecessary
...and he heats with what, gas? If you don't line it (with insulation) now, you'll wish you had later on...and I'm sure it will cost more to do then too...

The contractor may be out of his safety zone or may be imposing personal preferences or may have a sub-contractor deal with a mason that is favorable. Personally I'd go with a quality metal chimney, but have a qualified person install it so that there are no corners cut or sloppiness allowed and go straight up through the roof. It will cost a bit less and will provide the best performance. This will also have a more finished, clean look.

Last edited:
I'm not versed on this stuff, but a masonry chimney is cheaper than pipe?

If I was a betting man I would bet that the price difference is with the contractor either doing the masonry chimney himself on the cheap or a mason putting in a cheap chimney ... i.e. a simple concrete block chimney with clay tile. These chimneys can be relatively cheap and can be used safely, but for best performance, safety, etc I much prefer the Class A chimney. Just one bad chimney fire can ruin a conventional masonry chimney ... many Class A chimneys will take the heat ... not that I plan for a chimney fire ... but it's good to know.

The contractor would not be putting it in himself he has been calling around trying to find prices and he thinks it is absurd to pay $4,000 for a chimney. So he found someone to do a masonry one at that price. His theory is that people have been using unlined chimneys for centuries, so the liner is no big deal. And yes, a chimney is out of his comfort zone. People rarely ask for them any more.

I just called another place and they are saying also that it will be $1,500 less to have a block chimney than a stainless steel one I don't understand why that is I always thought the steel was cheaper

I have no ideal the level of build quality that you are trying to achieve but if they can build a 20+ft chimney out of masonry cheaper than Class A chimney pipe then I'd be very suspicious. That sized masonry chimney should cost several thousand if made with good quality. Additionally, you really need to line the masonry chimney once it is built with a stainless steel liner which will amount to another $1000. You shouldn't connect the new stove to a masonry chimney with no liner, it'll be dangerous and probably won't draft worth a hoot. Build it right the first time and sleep well at night. You can absorb the cost now much easier than in the future, plus the payback will be evident every winter day.

Also agree about finding all sorts of wood sources. You will be shocked once you get the word out to everyone you know and work with. People will be giving you hot tips on wood supplies all the time!

. His theory is that people have been using unlined chimneys for centuries, so the liner is no big deal
Yes and people have been having house fires for that long as well. Yes a masonry chimney built properly with a clay liner will work and will be safe till you crack those liners or the joints fail but it will never work as well as one with an insulated stainless liner or an insulated stainless chimney.

I have no ideal the level of build quality that you are trying to achieve but if they can build a 20+ft chimney out of masonry cheaper than Class A chimney pipe then I'd be very suspicious.
A simple chimney built with chimney block and clay liners will be cheaper at the start. But chances are you will be lining it within the next 10 years so there goes the cost savings.

You shouldn't connect the new stove to a masonry chimney with no liner,
I am sure it would have a liner. There is no way it would pass any inspection without a liner.

Yes and people have been having house fires for that long as well. Yes a masonry chimney built properly with a clay liner will work and will be safe till you crack those liners or the joints fail but it will never work as well as one with an insulated stainless liner or an insulated stainless chimney.

A simple chimney built with chimney block and clay liners will be cheaper at the start. But chances are you will be lining it within the next 10 years so there goes the cost savings.

I am sure it would have a liner. There is no way it would pass any inspection without a liner.
So, two things happened today. Called one chimney place and he told me insulating with a steel liner on the inside of a housemates zero sense and is stupid unless the chimney is on the outside of the house. Then secondly, my builder has been trying trying to research the benefits of steels masonry... He isn't finding much, plus he claims that clay liners are now high temp and won't crack. I just want what is most safe. I live in Maine, I want to be able to burn as much as I want without worry. Plus, I'm getting a stove that burns at a very high temperature. I do not want problems. I am set on something steel..... However, not sure how I can convince him why it is important. Ultimately it is my decision, but I don't want him to give me a hard time.

Called one chimney place and he told me insulating with a steel liner on the inside of a housemates zero sense and is stupid unless the chimney is on the outside of the house.
Find a different chimney guy they are completely wrong. Look at the installation manuals for liners. They all at least recommend insulation for best performance and many absolutely require it for use with solid fuels. Ask them what brand liner they use.

Then secondly, my builder has been trying trying to research the benefits of steels masonry... He isn't finding much, plus he claims that clay liners are now high temp and won't crack.
Totally wrong again they are the same they have been for 80 years. They can handle heat just fine but they cannot handle rapid heat change which you get in a chimney fire.

. I just want what is most safe. I live in Maine, I want to be able to burn as much as I want without worry. Plus, I'm getting a stove that burns at a very high temperature. I do not want problems. I am set on something steel..... However, not sure how I can convince him why it is important. Ultimately it is my decision, but I don't want him to give me a hard time.
Either a masonry chimney with an insulated liner or an insulated ss chimney will be equally as safe. The main benefit to a prefab chimney is the ability to easily come straight off the stove and up. And it will be a little cheaper than a masonry chimney with an insulated ss liner.

Go with bholler's advice, it is totally sound advice and you won't go wrong! Most importantly.....you won't regret it later.

Reactions: bholler
Boy, I just don't see how a class A chimney can cost $4k! I just priced out all the pieces that you would need at our local Menards store (I know you don't have Menards in maine, but they ship you know) they carry Supervent brand (which is Selkirk I believe)
(1) #JSC6DCSK through the ceiling kit $169
(6) # JSC6SA3 6" x 36" class A polished stainless steel double wall pipe sections $74.99 each so $449.94 total for 18' of pipe
(6) # JSC6SLBM SS clamps at $6.98 each so $41.88 total
Now mind you these are their normal prices, they often have a sale on this stuff in the fall at the beginning of heating season, so prices could be less...maybe enough less to pay for shipping, but this totals $660.82 plus tax/shipping for a 18' class A chimney! It is easy to install, especially on a new construction, you could do it yourself, or if you hire somebody, I can't see it being more than $500 or so. I know that installers may have other brands and higher markup...but how the heck are we getting from $1160 in my scenario to your quote of $4k?!

Boy, I just don't see how a class A chimney can cost $4k!

Yes 4k is high for sure. Even if you price out better pipe like ventis it is still under $1500 and installing in new construction is really easy so the install price should not be that high. I would say that on an average 2 story house with stove on the first floor and premium pie it would be in the $2000 to $2500 range with no finish work. If you are including building the chase and finishing it ect that would be higher..

This one quote I got was 3453 for a 22ft. The pipe itself is 2125. Another 400 for double wall pipe. 800 to install. Plus tax. Not sure why they're hiking up the prices here, but they are . That's why mason seems to be cheaper Bc they're not hiking the price???

Could be the difference in chimney brands. Excel is going to cost more than Selkirk or DuraTech.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah 2125 is high for materials on a 22' chimney. The install price is a little high for new construction also.

Not sure where in Maine you are but last fall i had a higher quality through the wall stainless chimney installed for somewhere around $2500, I can't remember exactly. This install was on a cape with a total of 18 feet of chimney I believe.

Reactions: sheeshshe
Not sure where in Maine you are but last fall i had a higher quality through the wall stainless chimney installed for somewhere around $2500, I can't remember exactly. This install was on a cape with a total of 18 feet of chimney I believe.

I'm in southern Maine. Would love the info if it is near here. I've been calling around and only two places would quote me a price. And the second quote said 4000 and that didn't include finish work on to outside.

Call some certified CSIA sweeps for some quotes. Type in your zipcode here for a list of locals.
www.csia.org

I haven't read all the replies, but I trust most are suggesting a straight shot up out of the stove. Metal chimney for a free standing wood stove. To do that you need the stove exactly located. Then the proper size straight chase needs to be framed out. So get this done now as the framing guys move fast.

So they took you wood. I guess if you don't claim it they think it's there's. It's usually a conversation the lot clearers have with you. I would ask for it back. I think they will give you a few loads from the next lot they clear. Did they chip all the limbs?

I haven't read all the replies, but I trust most are suggesting a straight shot up out of the stove. Metal chimney for a free standing wood stove. To do that you need the stove exactly located. Then the proper size straight chase needs to be framed out. So get this done now as the framing guys move fast.

So they took you wood. I guess if you don't claim it they think it's there's. It's usually a conversation the lot clearers have with you. I would ask for it back. I think they will give you a few loads from the next lot they clear. Did they chip all the limbs?
it was my friends land before we bought it, I didn't know they had cut the trees past the tree line. we had to find a place quickly, so we bought her land. it's not a biggie, I'll find wood :)

Gosh, I sure hope I am able to find someone soon for the stainless steel... plus, now it is down to the wire because they're getting close to closing my house in!!!!!! I'm in a panic, plus it is the busy time of year and people are booking way out. :( I sure hope I can find someone to do this. I didn't plan on it working out this way, I wanted this all lined up far in advance to needing it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.