Building a new house, chimney or pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is funny, small world. Any chance of some interior pics of the chimney and stove location?

Shoot. I went in there and forgot. Okay have part of a photo of the upstairs...

OK, haha... That's the best I've got. Maybe tomorrow I'll get something better... If I remember....

Attachments

• IMAG0735.jpg
    IMAG0735.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 102
fixed. thanks for posting.

I have a question about stove installation... if I want the stove closer to a wall than the clearance given, can I put a layer of non combustibles on the wall like one would do on the hearth and be able to make it work there?

I have a question about stove installation... if I want the stove closer to a wall than the clearance given, can I put a layer of non combustibles on the wall like one would do on the hearth and be able to make it work there?
That depends on the stove. Have you picked one out yet? If so, check the manual. If it permits clearance reduction then it may be possible. However, it will take more than putting some tiles wall. It requires an approved heat barrier per the manual. Normally this is what is referred to as an NFPA 211 wall shield. This can be made out of any non combustible material but must be open a the bottom and top by at least an inch so that air can freely circulate behind it. One option in this spirit would be to build the wall behind the stove with metal studding and open up the top and bottom of the stud cavities at the top and bottom on one side of that wall.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/

Status
Not open for further replies.