Building a pad, questions for corner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if people use any thin layer of anything under the durock (if they use durock) to prevent the hardwood floor from scratching, rosin paper maybe.

Here is an old hearh.com post. Pretty detailed.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22157/#236925

I am not sure what would be best as a protector for the hardwood. Rosin paper may stick to the floor with all the weight on it. Fiberglass matting maybe(pricey)?

Checking the Napoleon NPS45 requirements you could use sheet metal. 26 gauge minimum thickness. But that would be ugly, no?

Attachments

• NPS45 floor.jpg
    NPS45 floor.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 244
lastly, would it be better building a 40x40 or a 42x42 pad.
I plan to install the new stove (which ever it will be...) just a bit farther away from the walls than old unit to have more room in the back in case i need to get there and work with the pack panel or whatever. I think this would require a pipe extension, maybe like a 6" pipe section from what i have right now.

I'm leaning to build a 42x42, this way i have more (not less) and adjust/push the pad a bit under the baseboard heat radiants in case needed. Planing to use 12" tiles with a 3" tile all the way out in the border, like the first picture i posted here but 9 tiles instead of 4.

I have a 42" and barely meet the minimum requirement from front of stove to front of pad.
the bigger the better. all depends on stove size i guess.

Went to HD this afternoon, WHAT A HEADACHE picking tile size/color combination plus trimming .......but it's over as I think I made a decision.

13x13 tile plus some 2" border with glass tile.

Hello

I had alot of fun building my Wood Pellet Stove Hearth. I did like the others, used 2x4s for the base and made a cutout for a black grill. Behind the black grill is a 900w 220v kickspace heater to heat my feet when I have the stove down for cleaning with a thermostat for it on the wall. Then I put in 3/4" plywood and wonderboard (Cement board) on top. Then went to Lowes/HomeDepot for some nice tile. Also made an overhang with a channel for some nice RED rope light for added visual effect when the flire is on!!

See pics below:

Good luck!

Rope Light is being installed by mounting clips upside down across the channel under the overhang to keep it up out of sight!

Attachments

• TRHPelletStove 013SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 013SC.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 198
  • TRHPelletStove 014SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 014SC.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 184
  • TRHPelletStove 018SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 018SC.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 188
  • TRHPelletStove 020sc.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 020sc.jpg