building a raised hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charles b

Nov 27, 2010
sw ohio
Good Evening, I have a wood burning insert that is completely supported inside a masonry chimney. My old brick hearth was crumbling due to insufficient support underneath all the weight. Tore it out. Now what I'm left with is a brick wall with an insert installed in it's opening approximately 10" above the plywood floor. I've built a 2x8 frame 80" wide and 24'' deep for a new hearth. I plan to cover the frame with 1/2" durock on front and sides and 2 layers of 1/2" on top and finished with tile. Obviously, the stove will not be sitting on the frame that I'm building. After searching the site, I find that there are many differing opinions on what is acceptable in the situation I have. Is my setup safe?

We are going to need pictures here to see this. There's a lot of radiant heat from the front of a stove, so it's good to err on the side of caution here.

Try using metal studs and dutarock for your hearth--finish it with hearthstones or some other stone product---good luck---Steve

CaptSteve said:
Try using metal studs and dutarock for your hearth--finish it with hearthstones or some other stone product---good luck---Steve
I second the metal stud remark. It'll give you a non combustible frame I would also add some mineral wool to the platform, but make sure to leave some space between the insulation and the cemment board. Air space is a great fire retardant.

Status
Not open for further replies.