Building a simple mantel shelf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nlittle

Sep 8, 2009
Southern NH
Hi
As some have read before I am changing the look of my fireplace before my insert comes. (Oct 13!!!!!) I am getting stacked stone up to the ceiling and am going to build/ put up a simple box mantel shelf. I don't do too much wood working but this is not rocket science and I know I can do it if I measure 5x and cut once.
Anyway-
To attach it I will use a wooden cleat screwed to the wall/ studs to create a floating shelf.
- For this cleat do I need it to be the same size as the shelf so the shelf is attached from the top and bottom or is just the top ok? For instance if my shelf is in the void measures 6", can I use a 2x4 or does it have to be a 2x6?
Also I am going to stain it to give it a dark look (Like the typical dark furniture you can buy right now), but want the wood grain etc to be nice.
- What kind of wood should I use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
soon to be a happy burner

<>To attach it I will use a wooden cleat screwed to the wall/ studs to create a floating shelf.
- For this cleat do I need it to be the same size as the shelf so the shelf is attached from the top and bottom or is just the top ok? For instance if my shelf is in the void measures 6", can I use a 2x4 or does it have to be a 2x6?<>

You can use a cleat of whatever you need that will support the shelf.
For small ones I've used 2x2...
For larger ones 2x4...
For really big ones I've doubled up on the 2x4s
Get yourself a 3/8 dia Forstner bit & bore as many holes in the top of the shelf
as you think you need to support the weight on your cleat.
Go about 3/8 deep, then drill a pilot hole in the middle of
the bored hole for the screws - that way you can avoid splitting the wood.
After you've set the screws, you can install 3/8 dia wooden plugs to
hide the holes & if they aren't flush with the top surface you can sand them...

<>Also I am going to stain it to give it a dark look (Like the typical dark furniture you can buy right now), but want the wood grain etc to be nice.
- What kind of wood should I use?<>

Pine looks good stained, but you oughta put a coat of poly on it to keep it from getting damaged.
Oak is a little more pricy, but has a nice grain to it & takes stains well...
Cherry will cost you even more & the grain is more of a "burl", but it also takes stains well...
Your choice on the wood type, but match the plugs to that type so your stain is uniform...

Thanks for the input! Great points you have regarding the finished mounting with plugs. I did not even think of plugs...thought wood filler but your idea is better.
I will be mounting it while the guy is here installing the stacked stone so the stones may even cover those mounts but better save than sorry.
I will go to the store to look at the wood but am glad I have a few things to see now instead of having NO idea!
I would not need poly for oak or cherry?

Thanks again!

You can poly the oak or cherry & probably should.
It's just that pine is so damned soft, it'll dent when you set stuff on it.
Cherry & oak are hard, therefore more durable...

Gotcha, thanks!
I figure since I'm hiring everyone else to install stone, install the stove etc, I might as well try to do this part myself. :)

I just put up a mantel behind my wood stove. I used 2" by 8" red oak. It is 5 feet wide and I am happy with how it turned out. I had to special order from a local place. I originally got a 6" wide piece of oak from HD but it wasn't wide enough for pictures and a mantel clock I was wanted to put up. I did stain and poly.

I've done basically the same thing - box made out of oak to fit over an old cedar mantle. I'm making some spacers to build the cedar mantle out to the same size as the oak 'box' mantle. This way I can secure it on the top and bottom. Wood today isn't what it used to be and I was afraid if I secured it only on the top, the bottom may warp from the heat / drying of the fire below. With it securely screwed top and bottom, it will have a hard time warping.

As far as finish, poly is good. The absolute best i have found is Deft brushable nitrocellulose laquer - or you can get it in spray cans as well. Brush or spray on 2-3 light coats, light sanding, followed by 1-2 more coats. Makes an absolutely beautiful finish, durable and dries fast so dust is minimized.

BucksCounty said:
I just put up a mantel behind my wood stove. I used 2" by 8" red oak. It is 5 feet wide and I am happy with how it turned out. I had to special order from a local place. I originally got a 6" wide piece of oak from HD but it wasn't wide enough for pictures and a mantel clock I was wanted to put up. I did stain and poly.

So you literally hung a single piece as a shelf, using brackets?

nlittle said:
BucksCounty said:

So you literally hung a single piece as a shelf, using brackets?

Maybe I explained incorrectly. The mantel is resting on 2 stone brackets. I ran mortor around the uderside of the mantel and it is tightly secured. Is this wrong?

What type of joinery are you planning to make the box? If it's going onto a stone wall, will you need to cope to the stone? Or will the shelf go onto the substrate and the stone go around it? The more surfaces of the project that are finished the less likely the wood is to move excessively from the heat. Actually it isn't necessarily the heat, it's the change in moisture caused by the heat. Pine and cherry may need to be pretreated before staining. Do a sample to make sure you get the look you want before you tackle the real item. I would make the cleat fill the whole space in the shelf.

Thanks BucksCountry, that is what I was asking. Got pics? :)

Berone - I would attach the box directly to the sheet rock well above the stove clearance and the stone will go around it. The stacked stone is way to textured to try to cope around it, especially with my very limited skills! Regarding joinery, I assume you mean the corners etc. I was going to do simple miters with wood glue and finish nails....why do I think you will tell me this is not a great idea.....

No, that technique is fine for the box, but what are you going to see head on with the shelf? Will it be a lid above and below? Will you see the edges of the wood? Or do you plan to have the box sides cap the top and bottom, in which case how do you finish the back? How thick is the material going to be? What do you want the finished product to look like? A solid piece or a box? Any molding? Am I getting too obsessive about somebody else's project?

I hope these freakin pictures post. Here is the mantel I just installed.

Attachments

• 029-1.JPG
    029-1.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 290
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 271
Berone said:
No, that technique is fine for the box, but what are you going to see head on with the shelf? Will it be a lid above and below? Will you see the edges of the wood? Or do you plan to have the box sides cap the top and bottom, in which case how do you finish the back? How thick is the material going to be? What do you want the finished product to look like? A solid piece or a box? Any molding? Am I getting too obsessive about somebody else's project?

Head on, I want a simple box, maybe with a bit of a profile using some chair rail trim. I have to say though I have become gun shy and called a carpenter.
The stove is coming in 2 weeks and I want it to be installed during stone install to break up the face of the stone. Wimped out I guess. It would be my first time and I don't have the time to mess it up then have it redone or hire someone. BUT with all the feedback here I have some great info to ensure I get what I want from him.

BucksCounty said:
I hope these freakin pictures post. Here is the mantel I just installed.

Hold on now, I like this a lot! I might see what the local lumber yard has for something like this. I could always mount some L brackets and have the tile guy put the stone over the vertical piece then put this up.

Nice job! I'm sure whatever ends up happening it will be very nice and pictures will be posted for all to enjoy.

Thanks to everyone here, for all the great ideas/ info!

Status
Not open for further replies.