Building a simple tile hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sissy45

Aug 30, 2007
Hi,
I'm looking at an electric fireplace to use in my frontroom thats carpeted and will be used just for decoration. I found one at the home depot that I like and was wondering how to go about building a simple tile hearth
pad under it to make it look nicer and raise it a bit more,It will be as flush as I can get it againts a wall?Here are the model/measurements for it :

Antique White "Patricia" Fireplace

Model FA5525

Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 14.5 In.
Assembled Height (In Inches) : 42
Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 63.5
Assembled Width (In Inches) : 42

Hope you can help me.

Check the documentation that comes with it to make sure it doesn't list any specific offsets or R requirements for the underlayment or distance to combustibles. If not you're golden, read on.

- Go to your favorite home supply store and pick out the tiles you want.
- Get some cement board and screw it down to the floor.
- Then cement the tiles on top of that.
- Wait a day and then grout the tiles.
- Wait another day and apply a good sealant.
- Enjoy.

I don't know how to build hearth pads but I do know that the Southern Enterprises FA5525 fireplace at Home Depot isn't electric. It burns "gel fuel".

You might want to go back and take a closer look at it.

Double check that process, according to UL requirements and local building codes. When I built mine, it was a little more work than that. I started by removing the subfloor and blocking between the joists to support the additional weight. Next, I added new subfloor, then galvanized sheet metal (code requirement). Next was cement board, then the tile. Granted, my hearth supports a wood stove, but that's why it's important to check with local codes based on the appliance.

ThePhotoHound said:
Double check that process, according to UL requirements and local building codes. When I built mine, it was a little more work than that. I started by removing the subfloor and blocking between the joists to support the additional weight. Next, I added new subfloor, then galvanized sheet metal (code requirement). Next was cement board, then the tile. Granted, my hearth supports a wood stove, but that's why it's important to check with local codes based on the appliance.

Gel fuel stoves produce 3,000 BTUs of heat. The same as a Bic lighter. Less than a kerosene lantern.

Your right it's gel fuel...thank you all for your help can't wait to build it!

Thanks again :)

BrotherBart said:
I don't know how to build hearth pads but I do know that the Southern Enterprises FA5525 fireplace at Home Depot isn't electric. It burns "gel fuel".

You might want to go back and take a closer look at it.

i saw one of those in our local lowes, interesting idea. simply for aesthetics though , not a heating appliance, kinda like a "sterno fireplace" i guess. ya get a fire to look at at virtually no expense for the installation , but BB is right , heats like a candle im sure but its a nice little piece.

ThePhotoHound said:

I'm pretty sure with just cement board & tile, you don't have enough K or R value under that stove. Check you K & R value requirements in your manual.
If none there, there is a list of examples & recommendations on here somewhere. With cement board & tile only, thats not near enough.

Hogwildz said:
ThePhotoHound said:

I'm pretty sure with just cement board & tile, you don't have enough K or R value under that stove. Check you K & R value requirements in your manual.
If none there, there is a list of examples & recommendations on here somewhere. With cement board & tile only, thats not near enough.

??? Not sure what R value has to do with a hearth pad and UL requirements...

According to state building code it has everything to do with it. Your pad has to meet or exceed the stove's listed R and K value requirements for insulating combustibles from heat in order to comply with UL testing's specifications.

Double check that process, according to UL requirements and local building codes.

I assume you're talking about what I typed out for the basics of laying down a simple tile floor...I was replying to the original poster's comment that said:

electric fireplace to use in my frontroom thats carpeted and will be used just for decoration.

Maybe I misinterpreted (I certainly didn't go looking up the device's specifications online), but this tells me it is a non-heat generating appliance that he wants to use strictly for decoration and it will not require any sort of floor protection. Looking at some simple product descriptions online it seems that this is correct...there is virtually no heat generated by this device, it doesn't even have a vent and its made out of particle board with a sheet metal firebox. The manual will tell you for certain if this thing requires any sort of fire protection on the floor, but its made to be attached directly to an unprotected wall.

But I did say:

Check the documentation that comes with it to make sure it doesn’t list any specific offsets or R requirements for the underlayment or distance to combustibles.

If it is, in fact, a heat generating appliance then all bets are off and you have to design a real pad that will provide the required protection...in addition you will probably need to pull a building permit to install a heat generating appliance in your home and get it inspected. If, however, this is a non-heat generating appliance (which everything I can find online suggests it is...the mfr even says no permits or construction are required, but does not make the manual available easily), then what I listed above is a valid process.

I should add though that you'll want to probably cut a section of carpet out and remove it before you lay down your cement board.

What! what is all this gel fuel and stuff on a wood burning forum.....Go get yourself a nice little pot belly stove and enjoy!
for $350 you cant beat the American panel Hearth pads..

Hi again,
Let me clearly state that I'm not going to light it up it's just for decoration...sorry if I wasn't clear on that before.

sissy45 said:
Hi again,
Let me clearly state that I'm not going to light it up it's just for decoration...sorry if I wasn't clear on that before.

Enjoy it sissy. It is going to be a nice looking visual addition. I would encourage you to put a small something on it identifying it as a non-functional fireplace. We have had at least one news story linked here about somebody unknowingly tossing a few pieces of wood into an electric fireplace, lighting it up and burning the joint down.

Status
Not open for further replies.