Building a wood shed in my backyard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocattom

Jan 1, 2013
Maryland
I have been collecting a lot of free wood and my wife said that we HAD to have a place to put it all! So I think that we came up with a good solution. LOL.
P1040622.JPG

There will be two storage areas in the corner of my yard. Each will be 12' long X 3' deep X 6'5" tall.

Happy wife, happy life...

Looks good!

The only bad thing about this is that you no doubt will be putting green wood in there. If you really look at it, there will be basically no air circulation that the wood needs to dry. Normally folks will dry the wood in the open air then move it to the shed before winter.

On the other hand, you have a good idea for the shed. Just needs a bit of strengthening to keep it upright. If I were you I'd leave the floor just like you have it and the ends the same. Naturally the front will be open. But that danged fence blocks a lot of air.

Good luck.

Looks pretty good, I might put a few more concrete block in the center of the long runs to spread the weight out.

Looks like the roof may sag a little? Unless there is supports that I can't see.....

Looks pretty good, I might put a few more concrete block in the center of the long runs to spread the weight out.

Those are 4x4 with a span of less than 6' unsupported . I doubt it would be necessary, but I could be wrong, wouldn't hurt though.

OTOH, I don't have much experience with green wood. Have only stacked seasoned. Checking the weight of wet wood, it's a lot heavier, so you're prolly right about the additional blocks, especially if that thing gets filled up.

Reactions: Nocattom
Firewood will be covered & off the ground.! Nice
Some pictures of it full of wood will make it look even better :)

Some space between the 2 rows will allow some air circulation & help in dry ;)

Looks good, but the roof does look like it needs more support. I'm trying to do the same....scrounging for wood scraps that are usable is about as easy as scrounging for seasoned firewood that is 3 years seasoned, and cut to length

What is the roof? Looks like composite or 5/4 pt. A year of snow load in my area, I think will bow the roof.

The roof is two ribbed steel panels. It seems sturdy but I will add front and back support. There will be 3 to 6" in between the stacks for drying. I'm trying to cut my wood at 15.5" for east west or north south in the T5. I will take another pic when its full, unless it falls over :)

The roof is two ribbed steel panels. It seems sturdy but I will add front and back support. There will be 3 to 6" in between the stacks for drying. I'm trying to cut my wood at 15.5" for east west or north south in the T5. I will take another pic when its full, unless it falls over :)
I would suggest a middle support also. Don't you get snow in MD?

Stuff that baby full to the roof,
It ain't falling over. ::P

Spacing between rows is good & being covered will keep the rain off. It'll work just fine.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke ;)

Don't fix it if it ain't broke
Or, "Don't fix it until it breaks."
I built mine back in '10 and plan to modify it yet again this year. Minor addition in the form of an interior partition.
In the next few years, there may be a family room, running water, bathroom, and a bedroom.==c
Oooh, oooh, I could put a woodstove in there.;) CTC's could be a problem.>>

Or, "Don't fix it until it breaks."
I built mine back in '10 and plan to modify it yet again this year. Minor addition in the form of an interior partition.
In the next few years, there may be a family room, running water, bathroom, and a bedroom.==c
Oooh, oooh, I could put a woodstove in there.;) CTC's could be a problem.>>
ahahahaha

The span of that metal roofing would be fine as long as you don't get any snow where you live. ;hm
The one problem I see is your roof is flat, you don't have any significant slope to the roof,,,, so when it rains what I think will likely happen is some of the rain water will flow over and around the lowest edge and run back under the metal roofing until it contacts your roof support posts and run down them.
You should be able to tell if I'm wrong the first time it rains. Please let us know.

The span of that metal roofing would be fine as long as you don't get any snow where you live. ;hm
The one problem I see is your roof is flat, you don't have any significant slope to the roof,,,, so when it rains what I think will likely happen is some of the rain water will flow over and around the lowest edge and run back under the metal roofing until it contacts your roof support posts and run down them.
You should be able to tell if I'm wrong the first time it rains. Please let us know.
Looks like a slight slope, maybe a couple inches, not sure if thats enought to not do what you said. I made mine a one foot slope from front to back on a 4 foot wide rack, hops its enough, we can get some heavy snowpack up here.

Should be nice and tidy looking when you are done.

Looking good. What is kinda neat is to watch the pile shrink as it dries. As tight as you have the wood up to the roof on the shed to the right - when it is done drying, you will have a gap.

Good looking setup. As Jags said, there will be shrinkage. I've measured a 6" drop on a 2yr old stack of oak in my shed.

The only bad thing about this is that you no doubt will be putting green wood in there. If you really look at it, there will be basically no air circulation that the wood needs to dry. Normally folks will dry the wood in the open air then move it to the shed before winter.

On the other hand, you have a good idea for the shed. Just needs a bit of strengthening to keep it upright. If I were you I'd leave the floor just like you have it and the ends the same. Naturally the front will be open. But that danged fence blocks a lot of air.

Good luck.

That was my first thought too. Drying time is going to be way longer. The more air and sun, the better.

My wife used to have more suggestions for how the wood should look, where it should be, and all that. Then when we bought our stove, her focus became how incredibly comfortable the house is, and she likes to pitch in with all aspects of carrying wood and ashes. I don't think she liked it sitting in our driveway (the place with the most air and sun), but she caught on that other people like it, and comment on it frequently. In a city, a cord or two of wood right near the street is a conversation piece, but she had thought it would be considered an eyesore. I like how the 120 degree driveway bakes the wood in July.

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
Status
Not open for further replies.