Building a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sowers25

Jan 16, 2012
NE West Virginia
I'm building a wood shed and wondering whats the best floor. It is just dirt at the moment and thinking of laying some thick plastic on ground (6mil) then laying 3-4 inches of clean stone on top. Thinking that would let water run through the stone if any got in. Not going to build a actual wood floor and have though about pallets. Any ideas? wood shed 1.JPG wood shed 3.JPG wood shed 2.JPG

Being a cheap bugger myself, I'd say go with pallets to stack the wood on, and dirt or stone where you walk. Piece of cake.

Pallets.....you can always replace them!

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Pallets would be excellent, especially if there is breathing room under the your sheet metal side walls.

Just pallets in my case. The roof of the shed keeps the ground dry under the shed. Never had a moisture issue under the pallets.

If gravel is free would it be good too? I got the gravel here along with plastic, I would have to find someone with the pallets.

Local hardware stores, furniture stores, electrical and plumbing supply stores and similar businesses all have pallets. That's what I would look for.

Home depot, lumber yard is where I get mine and if I wanted them I could get 100 at a time. About 2-3 times a year. Put pallets down on top of gravel, in the winter freeze and thaw rocks will draw moister .

I have used pallets under my stacks for years. The first time they were rotting and I replaced them I figured I would just take the old ones to the landfill. They made me go over the scales, which we don't have to do for trash, and charged me six bucks and change to dump 11 rotted pallets.

Didn't take long to build my first fire pit. And it just happens to be the size of a pallet laid flat.

I use dead pine from my wood lot. About 6" dia or smaller.

Lay them in parallel pairs and stack your stove lengths across them,

I can go to 6ft high with a little care

I'd go with your idea of plastic and clean stone. Stones don't rot. I hate stepping on pallets when they break underfoot.
Even if you buy the stone it will be the most permanent part of your building. Just my 2 cents

Layer of QP stone 2-3 inches. Put down bricks in the stone (single high) and lay 2x6 PT lumber across to stack the splits on. If and when any water does get into the shed the splits will be suspended about 3 inches above the ground.

I have used pallets thus far and they work ok. Pallets need level'ish ground rock wouldn't

Plastic and stone are great and all, but the first rule of wood storage is get it off the ground. The easiest/cheapest way I've ever figured out to get wood off the ground is pallets.

I took the belt and suspenders approach. I've got a gravel floor in the woodshed and use pallets on top of that. I do the same in my separate, outdoor drying area primarily to make the pallets last longer. I think plastic is overkill. If you have the gravel you should be all set with drainage. Seem like if anything the plastic underneath the gravel might inhibit drainage.

I just leveled the ground somewhat in the shed. Once pallets in place I shimmed them a bit to be closer to level. No problem with the stacks or with any ground moisture.KISS works for me.

I like the shed for sure! I don't have a shed all my stacks are outside. I use some landscape timbers laid out parrallel to each other to stack on. Eventually will rot, eventually will replace.

I'm building a wood shed and wondering whats the best floor. It is just dirt at the moment and thinking of laying some thick plastic on ground (6mil) then laying 3-4 inches of clean stone on top. Thinking that would let water run through the stone if any got in. Not going to build a actual wood floor and have though about pallets. Any ideas?

I am not a lover of pallets. Simply cutting some 8' or 10' saplings in the woods or using limbs to stack the wood on works very well and they are just as cheap or cheaper than pallets. After a few years they can then be cut into stove wood length to burn and then replace with more of the same.

As for the plastic/stone idea, I really do not see a need for the plastic. If water does get in there, it can soak into the ground but if you put stones there, it will already be higher than the surrounding ground so water should not be a problem.

I put in an actual wood floor made out of rough cut hemlock. More expensive to be sure . . . but very nice.

I am not a lover of pallets. Simply cutting some 8' or 10' saplings in the woods or using limbs to stack the wood on works very well and they are just as cheap or cheaper than pallets. After a few years they can then be cut into stove wood length to burn and then replace with more of the same.

I'm with you Backwoods-- exactly what I do. Pallets are just too unwieldy. Of course if you don't have access to saplings as you mentioned, they may be the best option, but around here that's not a problem.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I use drainage rock in the floor of my woodshed, it last forever, it's covered and has great drainage so it stays dry, easy to level, and no place for critters to hide and build nest under.
I will admit that you'll get a little more ventilation with something like pallets, which is important if you are drying your wood, but the wood that goes in my shed is generally dry already, so I just need to keep it that way.
med_gallery_3859_316_108268.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.