Building a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I would update the progress a little bit as I really had not acomplished much else on the shed untill this weekend due to my work schedule.
This weekend I had 30 tons of limestone dust hauled to the house for use in backfilling the shed and backfilling the house. I got the pressure treated lumber installed on the low side of the shed and got everything backfilled and the rest of the floor spread. I also started getting up the pressure treated boards on the side of the shed and got a little over a cord of wood in the shed and stacked so I could get it off of the trailer.
I know the last picture isn't of the shed but this is what actually took the majority of my time on Saturday. When we bought this house they had never backfilled around the house before putting the deck all the way across the back of the house so the ground sloped towards the house. Just to give you an idea how much backfill it took I used probably close to 20 tons just under the deck alone and the spot from where I took the picture I had to bring the ground up almost 3.5 feet to get the grade I wanted. the worst part was I had to shovel the stuf under the deck but I couldn't get it all the way to the back so I had to then go under the deck and shovel it the rest of the way and it sucked! It took me the better part of saturday to get it done.

Attachments

• 2011-10-09_17-17-59_557.jpg
    2011-10-09_17-17-59_557.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 2011-10-09_17-18-43_396.jpg
    2011-10-09_17-18-43_396.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 419
  • 2011-10-09_17-19-29_543.jpg
    2011-10-09_17-19-29_543.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 423
  • 2011-10-09_18-14-50_44.jpg
    2011-10-09_18-14-50_44.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 408
Very nice job on that shelter Jesse!!

Ray

certified106 said:
Well here is the rest of what I accomplished this afternoon. I got the 2x4 layed out across my rafters and fastened down, set my 4x4 side posts, put up the sheetmetal and fastened it down with 420 screws (man am I glad that is done), put my 1x12 across the front for the guttter and put the back 2x10 header up with 4x6 spacer blocks. I am beat! Sorry the pictures are crappy but the daylight was fading fast at the end. I gotta brag a little bit so I just wanted to let everyone know I was less than 1/16" out of square when I got done :)

certified106, your woodshed looks nice, good work.

zap

great job, it is nice have some equipment to help spread the gravel. I spread about 60 yards myself with my pole barn and I use the bucket to lift the splits to my covered deck that I am using as my woodshed in the winter.

Gunna be a nice shed.

I am in the same boat as certified106...tired of tarping my wood for the last 2yrs. I have a 8'W x 20'L x 6'H shed in progress, I will post some pics soon.

that is a wood shed and them some. very nice.

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. It's still a work in progress and I really need to get the gutters on as well as getting the rest of the wood in there but it isn't gonna happen this weekend since I am taking my wife camping to enjoy the fall foliage.

Status
Not open for further replies.