Building department does not approve !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had an issue with the Code Enforcement officer on any job. I have been on jobs where there were some minor problems, right up to some major one's. If you don't like what your hearing you had better have your feet solidly on the ground in facts and statutes. The neighboring town had their case go to the Supreme Court. The Town Code Enforcement officer was being very heavy handed and the issues were mitigated by the Court's decision. Both sides had to work decisions that they thought they weren't exposed for. If you had to pay the daily fines you'd be broke in a heart beat. Paying for a law firm to litigate this would cost a pretty penny also. Best thing is to know before you do start something, what your obligations are and work with the CEO. My current Code officer wants the spec sheet followed. If it is, you're covered unless it is a black and white conflict with the national codes. If the company squares it up or an engineer signs off on it, you're still good to go. Remember it's all about protecting the town and certain financial interests.;)

BTW, one inspector, three hundred miles form here, had approved work by a general contractor, so it was time for the roof. The roofer went up on the newly framed house to shingle the roof with his crew. He and his crew could move the entire house by moving in drastic directions. That's right the entire house swayed even from the wind! The contractor had just started to use pneumatic nailers back in the day and had over set the nails on a series of homes. The Code Officer had to come back and condemn the homes all five of them. Ouch!

Feel like a scofflaw! Had my stove professionally installed hopefully avoiding something like this. Paid $100. for the permit. Told by the installation company they had over 70 approved installations in my town. So I figured a Harman platinum dealer with their experience would take good care of me. Their installation looked ok to me, but what do I k know? The building inspector did not approve the installation and that's it.
I had an old wood stove replaced by a Castle Serenity pellet stove. The installer ran a three inch pipe with a bottom T from my new pellet stove to my six inch old wood stove pipe stove pipe with an adapter (3" to 6") with the six inch through the brick wall and terminated at the top of my chimney. The inspector said the three inch should go all the way to the top. The inspector said a 3" to 6" stove pipe is a no, no. Now I'm looking at an expensive fix. Oh well, it's only paper! What say you?
If you paid a professional installer to put it in and it didn't pass codes then it's their problem for not doing the job right, they need to make it right .If you get no satisfaction then it's time to start writeing reviews on their web pages and at long last get the lawyers involved . One of the last things a small company wants is bad press and will usually come around ,after all you paid them to have it done right ...Bottom Line...

Feel like a scofflaw! Had my stove professionally installed hopefully avoiding something like this. Paid $100. for the permit. Told by the installation company they had over 70 approved installations in my town. So I figured a Harman platinum dealer with their experience would take good care of me. Their installation looked ok to me, but what do I k know? The building inspector did not approve the installation and that's it.
I had an old wood stove replaced by a Castle Serenity pellet stove. The installer ran a three inch pipe with a bottom T from my new pellet stove to my six inch old wood stove pipe stove pipe with an adapter (3" to 6") with the six inch through the brick wall and terminated at the top of my chimney. The inspector said the three inch should go all the way to the top. The inspector said a 3" to 6" stove pipe is a no, no. Now I'm looking at an expensive fix. Oh well, it's only paper! What say you?
If you paid a professional installer to put it in and it didn't pass codes then it's their problem for not doing the job right, they need to make it right .If you get no satisfaction then it's time to start writeing reviews on their web pages and at long last get the lawyers involved . One of the last things a small company wants is bad press and will usually come around ,after all you paid them to have it done right ...Bottom Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.