Building / Extending Hearth questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
I'm extending my hearth out from the pre-manned one we bought with our stove. You can get sort of an idea of what my current setup looks like in my avatar image. Currently there is carpet and standard flooring beneath that. The floor is level as the house is only 6 years old. We'll be putting ceramic tile down to replace the carpet around the stove area. Do I need to put anything else down beneath the tile such as another layer of plywood or some sort of fireproof material? Also, will ceramic tile be ok if some hot embers or a burning log roll out of the stove onto it? Thank you very much!

This would be different based on each stove. If your existing hearth meets the minimum code or very close to it, then the extension tile could be glued right to the subfloor. However, if the extension is - by measurement - part of the required hearth in the manual, then it must meet those specs...or be reasonably close.

Looking at the pic - and considering that the hearth is raised, my guess is that you will be OK with just gluing it to the subfloor.

The Rangeley only requires ember protection. Ceramic tile is fine for this stove. My preference would be to use a thin layer of cement board screwed to the floor then the tile bedded in latex-modified thinset.

Sounds good! Thanks for the replies. Currently, my hearth has been inspected and approved, so really we're just extending it outwards for looks, ease of cleaning and peace of mind, since several times last year we had "incidents" of coals or wood coming out and singeing the carpet. It freaked out the feminine unit a bit, so I figured it would be a cheap fix and aesthetically pleasing ==c Burn on, stay warm, be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.