Building fake fireplace for Pellet Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsavage

Oct 12, 2009
Southern Utah
We're thinking about getting a pellet stove insert and building a faux fireplace/mantel around it. I guess I'm looking for safety information as far as what to build the framing out of, or any other tips anyone else who has done this before could give me. Can I just frame/concrete board/tile, or are there certain heat rated materials I need to be using?

Based on the stove you pick there will be required clearances to combustibles to the sides, top etc... You really need to have a model in mind to determine the above question.

Ok, I'm going with a US Stove 6041i insert. The floor where it's going is tiled, however there is radiant heating pipe (fluid) underneath that in the concrete - so I'm going to build a hearth on top of the existing flooring to buffer the heat a little. Probably wouldn't harm the radiant piping, but I'd rather be safe than end up melting the pipe. Anyway, does the heath need to be out of fire-rated concrete/brick? Or can I use plain old concrete to form it?

Status
Not open for further replies.