Building hearth for WB insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooserider said:
castiron said:
Gooserider said:
castiron said:
Update......I picked-up my Jotul C450 insert at the dealers the other day ($2154 plus tax) and took it home. It's sitting in my living room awaiting delivery of my liner and my installing it. I bought 20 ft of 6" 316Ti ss, a stove connector, a tube of high-temp caulk, an insulation kit (25 ft of 1/2" thick insulation, adhesive, and wire mesh) and a one-piece combo wind screen/storm cap that screws onto my top tile and pivots open for cleaning, all for $700 delivered. Going to get a permit tomorrow and sheet metal to start the lower block-off plate.

Sounds great - keep us posted on your progress!

Gooserider

Update.....I went to the city inspectors office to apply for a permit to install the insert and the inspector happened to be there and he told me none was needed. At first I thought he didn't hear me correctly so I explained what was there now (old Buck Stove Insert) and what I was planning on putting in (a new EPA approved WB insert) and he said again, no permit was required.....so, slightly amazed, I'm now only awaiting liner delivery so that I can begin the install....

Tell Elk - we keep telling him that it seems not all places require permits - he keeps insisting a permit is needed to do a safe install....

Will do. I think I can use a self-checklist that I can send the insurance co to show I covered the items that need to be addressed.

As far as the homeowner's insurance. I'd just let them know what you did (in writing), and were told a permit was not required by the town, and tell them they are welcome to inspect if they want to. Other than that, I would think you would be fine, both town and insurance-wise. Good luck on the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.