Building hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Build a hearth pad?

• Buy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Build

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
or repurpose ..... My most recent hearthpad is a granite table top that was free off Craigslist.

Kosmonauts is this an Intrepid 1308? or 1902?

or repurpose ..... My most recent hearthpad is a granite table top that was free off Craigslist.
Wow - what a great idea...

Go big. The usa spec of 16" in front of the door opening is about useless. Canada spec i think is 18". I am at 22" now with enough carpet burns to know my next hearth will be up around 40" or so front clearance. Nice warm place to stand when my feet are cold too.
+1. I like my hearth, home built, meets all specs, I modelled it after some of the stove brochures, etc. but if I have a do-over I'll definitely go bigger.

Made me think of my recent visit to Habitat Restore... lots of loose tiles. Some BB stores drop off left over products that they are no longer stocking so you can find good quantities.

Last edited:
I have also gone to granite distributors and asked for scrap pieces. They usually have pallets of them out back and are sometimes willing to let you have all you can load up. I was able to find a piece big enough for my sisters stove. I was considering laying out all the smaller pieces and using them like tiles to build a hearth, but then I stumbled across the table top.

I believe he bought a pre-made pad and is moving on to the chimney and connection now.

So is raised better then flush? I was going flush because I keep thinking I'm going to stub my toe all the time :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Our pad is set on the subfloor with 3/4" oak flooring then build up to the pad edge. Call it semi-flush, sticking up about 3/4". No one in the past 10 yrs. has stubbed a toe on it.

So is raised better then flush? I was going flush because I keep thinking I'm going to stub my toe all the time :)

Pad sits @ 1" above finished floor here, no toe stubs yet (hope I didn't jinx myself....;))

When we built ours it sits a good 6 inches up, this gave us a better view of the fire, easier to load (IMO) and i didn't have to cut the tiles to fit it ==c

As said above with the granite pieces I have seen the same done with soapstone pieces. Plus up the wall for more protection. There is a lot of different options available. I have a true four inch brick wall from floor to ceiling behind my stove. My pad is to layers of brick to raise up the stove. This all sits on a concrete floor.

Ours is jacked up.
Sitting on 2 X 12's. OSB cut the same shape. Fiberglass mat 1/4" thick over that.
Durock over that. Layer of sandstone brick over that. Stove over that. I hired a
handyman and assisted him to keep time and cost down. Just to be safe a layer of
firebrick and sand lining the bottom of the stove. The hearth only gets warm at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.